Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

should I send this buyer a refund? For just the item or postage too?

(9 Posts)
Lalisa Fri 17-Oct-08 18:59:18

buyer recently received a mechanical item from me and said it didnt work. I know that at one time it did work, but to be honest didnt test it out just before i listed it, so she may be right. The item is heavy and ugly and I am glad to be rid of it and dont want it back, so I'm inclined to offer a refund (she has only positive feedback, as do I). Item only sold for £5, but postage was £7. Do you think I should refund the whole £12 or might she be happy with just the £5 and an item which may or may not work as described and may or may not be fixable?

sarah573 Fri 17-Oct-08 19:51:50

Well technically you should refund the orginal postage, and she is responsible for the cost of sending it back to you - thats what would happen if she made and won a paypal claim. I think really you should refund her the whole £12, even if you are not asking her to return it. You could consider claiming from royal mail if it may have been damaged in transit?

bubblagirl Fri 17-Oct-08 19:52:58

i would say full refund as item is faulty if it worked but not as described else where i would say part refund but she shouldnt lose 7 pound for what may be a useless item

surreylady Fri 17-Oct-08 20:10:27

I have an item purchased that is not as advertised - I have already paid the postage and been sent an incorrect item (not new with tags as advertised) so I don't consider that I shluld be responsible for paying the postage to return it if he wants it back surely he should pay - not my mistake - not my cost surely

sixlostmonkeys Fri 17-Oct-08 20:43:36

"or might she be happy with just the £5 "

would you be?

Lalisa Fri 17-Oct-08 20:50:55

^ "or might she be happy with just the £5 "

would you be? ^

I would be very happy to get any money back if...
- it was actually functional and I was just trying it on
- i liked the look of it anyway (its a decorative object, has aesthetic value even if not moving)
- i knew someone who could fix it easily
- if i thought i bought it for a fantasticly low price and could still use it or fix it.

so i have a sliver of doubt about how things might be from her perspective.

BloodAndMutts Fri 17-Oct-08 20:52:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bubblagirl Fri 17-Oct-08 20:53:06

ask her if she would accept part refund as she could get item fixed if she says no then full refund her

BloodAndMutts Fri 17-Oct-08 20:55:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now