Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What to do? Should I end auction early on bidder's request or is she 'aving a laff???

(8 Posts)
Diege Fri 26-Sep-08 22:28:38

Bit of a moral dilemma here (complicated) Have an item for sale that finishes tomorrow. Had told bidder I was putting it on as a BIN (she had won another of my items and had expressed interest in what else I had for sale), with auction, and the intention was that she would bid for the BIN, end of story. Only another bidder got there first, bid in auction, hence ending BIN.
The item has attracted lots of attention, and is currently at the BIN price. Said bidder is currenbtly highest bidder,though there are lots of watchers and it end tomorrow. Said bidder has just e-mailed me to ask me to finish auction early as she is away when it ends and it has reached the BIN price.
My gut reaction is hmm shock, and not to do it. After all, it's an auction and there are other bidders involved. But thinking about it I put the item on with the intention that she would buy it with a BIN (though I would have listed it anyway).
Any ideas what to do? hmm

avenanap Fri 26-Sep-08 22:30:25

I would just let it carry on. You may end up with more than the BIN price. It's down to you though. She just doesn't want to pay more than she has to.

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 26-Sep-08 22:51:13

If there are other bidders and its got a day to go and already at the BIN price... then its going to go for more.
Tell the person that you have been surprised at the interest in this item and (then lie and say) that several people have emailed you making BIN offers of higher than the one she is trying to get it for, and so in fairness to all (and especially your bank account) you would rather it now just went to the end of the auction.
She probably knows its worth more than the current price..

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 26-Sep-08 23:30:51

I agree with flibberty.
I wonder if the thing about being away is true. Its amazing the amount of time that people on ebay are away on holiday and needing auctions finished early.

<cynic>

Diege Sat 27-Sep-08 08:17:57

LOL tigger grinI hadn't thought of that one! In fact I had been thinking about waiting until after the auction and saying I'd been away myself and only just got her e-mail blush. That's bad isn't it...
Love your response FLIBBERTY grin

AbbeyA Sat 27-Sep-08 08:27:52

I never respond to people's request to finish early-I can't see the point.

AbbeyA Sat 27-Sep-08 08:28:48

I should say I can see their point! It isn't to my advantage as seller.

Diege Sat 27-Sep-08 10:23:06

Well after all that it sold for just a few pence more than the BIN, so everyone's happy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now