Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer claims item is smashed but I packaged it soooooo well...

(9 Posts)
Dumbass Mon 22-Sep-08 13:55:33

Argh.
Not sure what to do. Been selling on ebay for ages but never had this happen to me before. I sold a pair of mugs, wrapped them both separately in bubble wrap, then wrapped them in newspaper, then posted them together in a padded (bubble) envelope with FRAGILE written in big letters front and back.
The buyer has just emailed me to say that one of the mugs is smashed. I'm not sure what the correct procedure is now. She did not pay for postal insurance.
Help!

Dropdeadfred Mon 22-Sep-08 13:58:51

Ask her to return it for a refund.

AbbeyA Mon 22-Sep-08 14:07:30

I sold a pretty china dish and the buyer said that it was broken. I asked her to return it for a refund. When she returned it I realised that she was being truthful because it was a very small chip off one end so I had to give her a refund. I was very sad about it because I had started it at 50p and it got to £26 and I had to send it back!

Dumbass Mon 22-Sep-08 20:19:57

Ok. So do I refund her all the original money she paid and then reimburse her for the cost of sending it back to me also?
I have had times in the past where I have bought things that turned out to be faulty but the seller would only refund the price of the item and none of the postage I paid.

sixlostmonkeys Mon 22-Sep-08 20:49:01

a seller is not obliged to refund the return postage but a good seller will.
Tbh, a jiffy bag is not adequate packaging for such items. Best to use bubble wrap, scrunched bubble wrap more bubble wrap and a strong box.

To save time and expense I'd just ask for a photo of the mugs. You can explain that this will make things simpler for both of you.

Piffle Mon 22-Sep-08 20:53:54

for refund insist on return of item though
Paypal dispute would probably refund the buyer as item arriving safely is your responsibility.

AbbeyA Mon 22-Sep-08 22:20:03

I had to refund her everything. It was my mistake, I should have used a box.

MrsMagooo Tue 23-Sep-08 11:44:56

Either ask for a photo or for her to send the item back before issuing a refund - you would not believe the amount of people who try & claim a refund by saying the item is broken!!

Had a buyer do it to me once - claimed the item had arrived broken & wanted a refund. I apologised & said I would issue a full refund as soon as I recieved the item back.

I then got a email back saying 'Oh sorry, I've contacted the wrong seller' hmm

Dropdeadfred Tue 23-Sep-08 16:12:18

you can claim from Royal Mail if you think it was their fault...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now