Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Desperate to win the bid...but am novice at this e-bay malarkey....tips please (B4 11.30pm!)

(10 Posts)
ashamedtoadmit Fri 19-Sep-08 21:17:00

Have a budget, and currently one other person seems to be bidding against me (just our two bids so far).

Should I wait right til the last minute to bid up or do it earlier....or what.....HELP!!

HeroicHumphreyCutlassCushion Fri 19-Sep-08 21:18:43

Yes, wait until the very last minute.
And if your top bid is eg: £10, then bid £10.09, so you will win if anyone else has also bid £10.
Good luck. smile

undercovercat Fri 19-Sep-08 21:22:37

wait, till last 2 mins then bid your highest.

ashamedtoadmit Fri 19-Sep-08 21:23:42

Thanks heroic, good tip about the extra 9p.
So do you literally wait til one minute before, or maybe five minutes??

hellymelly Fri 19-Sep-08 21:24:28

last minute can work but some people have a program that means they can bid in the last ten seconds-really the only way to go if you really want something is to place the highest bid you can and to hope for the best! (and I am an ebay veteran,nearly 900 feedback)

hellymelly Fri 19-Sep-08 21:25:49

Oh forgot to add :- another thing against the last minute thing is that I have had problems with my internet connection happen at the crucial moment and lost out a few times that way.

Evelynsmum Fri 19-Sep-08 21:26:57

Always bid an odd top number so 10.17 or something similar and leave it as long as possible.

A,lso pick a number and stick to it. Theres always something else coming up...

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 19-Sep-08 21:27:21

If you have a maximum, stick it in, and walk away from the computer, ebay will do the rest won't spend more then you have too and then you won't get carried away and bid over what you want.

ashamedtoadmit Fri 19-Sep-08 21:28:39

Blimey helly! Is it like an automatic computer programme or something, that means they bid in last ten seconds?

Am really anxious now.!!

ZakuroFujiwara Fri 19-Sep-08 21:32:55

Sign up for an ebay sniper( like here )who I'm pretty sure will give you a free snipe. Then , as someone else said, put a random amount in as your final bid (like 10.09p). Then sit back and let ebay sniper win it for you - which it will, unless someone else has used a sniper with a higher final amount grin

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now