Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Oh bugger, I really need advice, asap please

(23 Posts)
flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 19:58:18

Ok, heres the story;
A few months ago, I tried selling PSP with ten games on eBay.
FOUR times, the psp was bought by different people, all who had no ratings whatsoever, and no payment was ever recieved. Id send them an invoice a few times, and then each and every time, the person who had bought it, would suddenly become an unregistered user. I emailed ebay about it, but they couldnt help.
We decided to keep the psp as we got fed up of this!
Ok, so, I put it on again today.
Somebody, with NO ratings has bought it, but not paid for it. Due to the past expereiences, I emailed him, and asked for payment straight away. He requested an invoice. Its £115.00.
He has changed his settings, so that his rating is HIDDEN now, and it says 'Private' there instead of a number.
ALSO, he lives in NIGERIA!
There is no way I can send this psp to this guy. The psp is worth a lot, he has no ratings, he has hidden his rating from me, and Im so scared of being scammed, that I wouldnt be able to do anything about it as its so far away, especially with all the messing with the last people that have bought it.
We are DESPERATE for this money so dont want to risk it. Its my partners, and he is really reluctantly selling it.
What do I do?

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:01:53

Infact, Iv just looked, and he joined the site today! If he isnt willing to pay with paypal, can I refuse? Saying I only accept paypal?

TequilaMockinBird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:03:10

Does your listing state you will post internationally? If not, then I would email the buyer stating that you will not post overseas.

I have heard of a few people who have been stung by Nigerian buyers who claim the money is waiting in paypal and once they receive tracking number, the funds will appear. Infact the funds never do appear and the buyer then disappears off the face of the planet (with their item!)

TequilaMockinBird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:04:02

Also, some of these scammers are quite clever and can send you fake paypal notifications too - just be careful!

hotbot Sun 14-Sep-08 20:04:30

ask for paypal payment only and give the buyer 1 day to pay... or.. relist it and add paypal only buyer iyswim

Aarrgghh Sun 14-Sep-08 20:04:41

I was nearly scammed the same as Tequila has stated - but luckily i did not send. Don't send until you have received the cash in your account.

TequilaMockinBird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:07:16

If you do receive any emails from 'paypal' don't click on any links.

Go to paypal in the normal way (through your browser) and sign in from there to see if the funds are showing as cleared.

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:11:33

Ok, thank you. So, if my Paypal account says that £115 has gone in, has it definately gone in? They cant fake that can they?

Just checked the listing ( Heres the item number if anyone could check too? 190251971108) and at the bottom it says
Dispatch to;
United Kingdom and then what type of postage I will be using. If it doesnt say 'Worldwide' here, can I cancel now?
Thanks so much everyone!

TequilaMockinBird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:14:16

Your listing states you dispatch to the UK so I would probably send a message to the buyer telling them that as the listing stated that, you will not be posting overseas and will be relisting the item.

If you are going to relist, I would also put a note in the actual description box to say something like 'I will only post to the UK, no international buyers'

frogs Sun 14-Sep-08 20:15:29

For future reference, you can adjust your preferences to block buyers from abroad and buyers with less than a certain no. of feedback. Saves a lot of trouble.

CarGirl Sun 14-Sep-08 20:15:33

Yes if you say UK only just cancel it now.

CarGirl Sun 14-Sep-08 20:16:43

If you can wait I would relist it nearer Christmas as there may be more interest in it then. Have you tried your local gumtree free ads as then it will be someone local buying it for cash, and they can see it working and the condition it is in etc.

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:17:00

Thanks Tequila. You're quit the eBayer! smile
ts so annoying because I have to pay again each time.

ManxMum Sun 14-Sep-08 20:17:36

you stated UK and paypal.

Don't send it!

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:18:40

Oops, missed everyone elses posts! Thanks guys!
I have tried changing my preferences, but as far as i can see, you can only block people with a rating of -1 or less, meaning that theyve had more bad feedback than good.

TequilaMockinBird Sun 14-Sep-08 20:20:33

I do sell quite a bit on ebay (to try and make ends meet!) and I also read the forums on there so I've come across quite a few of these scams!

Hope you eventually sell it though, good luck smile

Lilyloo Sun 14-Sep-08 20:22:41

Don't send loads of advice over in the answer centre on ebay. Esp warnings of nigerian scammers loads of them.
Even if the money is in paypal they can still get the money out.
I wouldn't send and use the uk only as get out clause.
Also block bids from abroad in preferences.

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 14-Sep-08 20:25:43

They cannot fake that the money is in your paypal account, but they CAN chargeback the money. Be careful!

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:28:10

Ok, just blocked anyone with ratings of 0 or less. Thanks v much guys.
I just emailed him and said that as I stated on the listing, I only post to the UK, amd wont be sending the PSP you robbing bastard . grin

sixlostmonkeys Sun 14-Sep-08 20:50:17

If you are selling it using BIN, add the immediate payment required bit - that way until someone pays it stays active.

remember to send it Special delivery, not standard. You need the extra insurance and a tracking number.

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:52:58

sixlostmonkeys - how do you do BIN? Where do I change that?
Thanks

flubdub Sun 14-Sep-08 20:55:11

oh, sorry (duuuurrr) you mean Buy It Now? Yep, I do that with all of them anyway. Thanks smile

sixlostmonkeys Sun 14-Sep-08 20:56:22

just noticed you have relisted with an auction plus BIN - so not sure if you can have 'immediate payment required' You might be able to, have a look through as though you are editing it.

using immediate payment does save a lot of hassle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now