Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

beginner's guide to ebay, please!

(5 Posts)
hollyhobbie Sun 14-Sep-08 18:16:18

Hi,
DFiL has asked me about selling on ebay, but I can't help him, as I have only ever bought on there.

Could any of you wonderful wise MNers please give me (him) a simple starter's guide?

Many thanks!

Lilyloo Sun 14-Sep-08 20:25:23

Go over to answer centre on help page in ebay. There is a first time sellers section.

sixlostmonkeys Mon 15-Sep-08 09:02:40

Look up each item on completed listings to work out if the item sells and if so, for how much.
Take good photos of each item, and describe in detail, including all the faults.
Set preferences for things like - do not allow bids from countries to which you do not post. Then select the countries you are prepared to post to.
Use the title line well with good key words.
Get the kitchen scales out and look up postage on the Royal Mail website. weigh items with the packaging. Add about 50p for the packaging.
Send trackable - eg Recorded delivery, but use other RM methods if value is more than £36.
List items to finish on a Sunday Evening if possible - avoid times when World Cup, Corrie, etc is on TV.
Package well and post promptly. Communicate well with buyers.

Good luck

squilly Mon 15-Sep-08 14:50:52

Watch out for the clocks going forward too...If you list, recognise your ending time. Don't make it too late on a Sunday evening or everyone will be in bed

hollyhobbie Mon 15-Sep-08 18:41:26

Thanks all, this is exactly what he needs. Will pass on all your advice, and we'll see if he dares try it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now