Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ok, so was it fair for me to get this negative? I'm gutted about it...

(14 Posts)
mustrunmore Sat 13-Sep-08 09:05:03

In essence:
Sold lots of mums thimble collection.
All listings sent ok, except one package which buyer said had 3 broken thimbles and that it was my poor packaging not the post office.
Was in a very srong box and well wrapped inside, and there were 80 in there, only 3 broken, so it wasnt like I sent them in a jiffy bag!

I said fair enough, I'd refund the 93p that the 3 thimbles had cost the buyer (total divided by number of thimbles), or help pursue a post office claim. But I also politely pointed out that she had ignored my request to pay from paypal funds only not off a card, else I would incur fees. I told her that I'd cast a blind eye as it was £1.19 in fees, which all adds up, but for the hassle I just accepted it. And seeing as it was only 93p worth of damage, couldnt she return the kindness and call it quits? I also posted abroad when I'd specified Uk only. Which I thought was all helpful.

So, instead of saying 'sorry, not acceptable' and stating her case, she sends a snotty email (but no swearing) and leaves negative feedback saying I said she could only have a refund if she paid a bigger fee sadangry So now I cant get rid of that feedback off my ratings.

MrsSnape Sat 13-Sep-08 09:17:55

that is very unfair. Some people are so heartless.

If it makes you feel any better, negative feedback means less these days as so many sellers receive it unfairly because the buyers know they can get away with it.

Can you add a comment to it and explain in your words what happened?

Geepers Sat 13-Sep-08 09:33:36

Unless Ebay have changed their policies you are not allowed to specify payment only from funds.

cornsilk Sat 13-Sep-08 09:37:34

That's unfair. Can you leave an explanation about it somewhere on the feedback forum? It wouldn't put me off buying from you.Would put me off selling to other party though.

missjennipenni Sat 13-Sep-08 09:45:51

YOu cant actually ask people to only pay by paypal funds, she could have got you banned from Ebay for that, so you are quite lucky actually!

LazyLinePainterJane Sat 13-Sep-08 09:50:52

You can't specify things like that regarding paypal. You choose to take paypal, you accept the fees and any sort of fee avoidance in listing specification is not good as ebay are concerned.

To be fair to her, she doesn't give a toss about your fees, she just wanted the broken stuff that she had paid for refunded, not to start faffing about with emails back and forth.

SO whilst I can see your point, I think she has a reason to be annoyed, however, it could have been sorted out without resorting to negatives. But then, this is why you as a seller should resolve things as quickly as possible. Because these days, ebay is just like the shops in terms of people treating you like crap, it's not a group of mates being nice to each other.

Marne Sat 13-Sep-08 10:01:42

No your not allowed to charge people funds for paypal/card and you are not allowed to not offer paypal since a few months ago.

It is anoying when people leeve bad feedback for silly things but e-bay is a nasty place.

Someone asked me for a refund on some childrens clothes as they were not up to her standards, the items were new with tags hmm, you can't please evryone.

Dh used to sell china on e-bay and often things got broken, he was left bad feedback a few times and has now given up.

You cant put in a claim for royal mail as chins/porcalin is exsemt from insurance (says dh)

MrsSnape Sat 13-Sep-08 10:07:12

I often specify in my listings to ensure that buyers have funds in their paypal accounts, I didn't realise you were not supposed to do this?

You get enough fees without having to pay for credit cart fees too. It's hardly worth selling stuff these days.

mustrunmore Sat 13-Sep-08 10:11:02

You're not allowed to not offer paypal?! Omg.
I specified funds only because I've seen other people do that alot, so I stand corrected there.
Used to sell alot on ebay but gave up with the hassle as many people have. This was just a one off for my Mum.

I take your point about her just wanting her 93p back, fair enough of course. But its was like one minute we were discussing rationally by email, the next minute she goes off one one and leaves me really bitchy and misleading feedback. I've left her a pos, cos you have to, but tried to explain what happenened in the explanation. Although hard in such a short space!

We live and learn.

missjennipenni Sat 13-Sep-08 10:14:51

YOu can always leave a response to her feedback?

mustrunmore Sat 13-Sep-08 10:17:15

Can you still do that? Thought it was scrapped?

sixlostmonkeys Sat 13-Sep-08 14:01:56

Do you mean you said no echeques? Sorry, I'm all confused here blush
Fees are the same no matter what with paypal....?

If you want to send to UK only it's best to change your preferences so that people who live in countries to which you don't post can't bid.

mustrunmore Sat 13-Sep-08 15:09:22

I did specify uk only, but she asked very politely as she wanted the item, so I quoted her a price for postage she was happy with and said it was ok to bid.

Paypal.. free from funds or bank account, fees for cards or card linked to bank account. Has that changed then? blush I noticed a short time ago that it stppoed asking to to accept the card payment and upgrade my account. But then again, I'm still getting payments with no fees incurred too, so I thought it was the same as ever.

missjennipenni Sat 13-Sep-08 19:56:21

No, you can still respond to feedback, i was going to do it the other day, so went looking for the link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now