Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

BUYER SAYS ITEM DOESN'T WORK....

(12 Posts)
frangipan Wed 10-Sep-08 18:17:58

I have sold my first item on ebay and it was in working order when used by me. The buyer says the item doesn't work and that they will try a new battery in it today but that if it doesn't work they would expect a full refund.
That in itself is fine, however, should i only refund once i have recieved the returned item and clarifyed that it doesn't work and am i expected to refund her return postage also?

thanks in anticipation, this is a first for me :-o

forevercleaning Wed 10-Sep-08 18:21:35

i would ask her to return it so you can give it a good looking over yourself. don't refund until it is fully established that it was faulty before it left your house the first time. they may be just trying it on to see what you will give them back.

You say it was in good working order when you sold it, so its rather strange that it doesnt work now, if it was well packed etc.

frangipan Wed 10-Sep-08 18:24:02

thankyou forevercleaning! I will send an email back explaining that. If I do refund , who pays for which postage????

forevercleaning Wed 10-Sep-08 18:27:39

i would not refund their postage personally. Have you had a good read of their feedback just to check this is not the sort of thing they have done before.

Geepers Wed 10-Sep-08 18:39:38

If the item doesn't work I think you should refund all of her postage costs. Why should she be out of pocket if you sold her a faulty item?

frangipan Wed 10-Sep-08 18:49:56

i think i have to determine that the item is faulty first, i didn't knowingly sell a faulty item, it worked when we used it! it may have been damaged in the post, or maybe she hasn't fitted the battery correctly?? i don't know at the moment. I will wait for their reply, i would never sell anyone a faulty item, this is the first time i have sold on ebay...but thanks for your post geepers.

expatinscotland Wed 10-Sep-08 18:54:53

this is why i prefer to sell at boot sales.

the item GOES AWAY and so does the person who buys it.

frangipan Wed 10-Sep-08 20:10:58

liking your theory there expatinscotland, i think this may be the way to go in future, i haven't heard anything back yet and they emailed at 1.30, i'm sure if there were still problems they'd have contacted asap.

expatinscotland Wed 10-Sep-08 20:13:08

yes, and with boot sales, you also get the cash.

and then LEAVE.

i got ripped off by a buyer last year who didn't like the item and so said it wasn't as described. bollocks!

then went to paypal.

where i challenged her and got my money back.

i don't sell stuff to run a business or shop, but to make extra money. it's too much of a PITA to do that on Ebay these days.

frangipan Wed 10-Sep-08 22:41:40

The buyer has emailed me to say that it is now working and was apologetic! still put me off though....

forevercleaning Thu 11-Sep-08 06:41:15

good news fran. glad it worked out ok, but you can see where the problem lies with all of this.

You were accused of sending a faulty item, which you knew damn well you didnt, and then Geepers says you should be refunding the postage as well!

This is just the sort of thing that puts me off ebay, but pleased to know yours worked out.

frangipan Thu 11-Sep-08 07:40:05

thanks for all you help, i won't be using ebay to sell again i don't think! I may stick to expats carboot suggestions in future...xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now