Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

why do sellers keep bidding history secret?

(14 Posts)
3andnomore Sat 06-Sep-08 14:36:50

I always thing it is a bit dodgy....i.e. maybe they are bidding themselfs on it to get the price up or something like that....

so, what is that option actually for?

maidamess Sat 06-Sep-08 14:37:21

So they can buy used underwear and no one knows?

3andnomore Sat 06-Sep-08 14:42:15

lol....hm...that thought never occured to me, lol!

However, I tend to bit on Gameboy stuff, DVD's and Books without sexual context...so....why use it for that, lol!

SparklyFairy Sat 06-Sep-08 17:45:24

If items are listed for 10 days they are automatically private listings. No idea why though!

MrsMagooo Sun 07-Sep-08 09:30:47

I always list my items for 10 days & they've never yet been private hmm

onceinalifetime Sun 07-Sep-08 09:44:39

Isn't it just bids over £100 that are automatically kept private to stop the dodgy second chance offers that used to go on?

onceinalifetime Sun 07-Sep-08 09:45:18

You can choose to make your listing private if you're selling sex toys or stuff like that.

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 11:18:38

this was definately a low cost item and not a sex thing....

Spidermama Sun 07-Sep-08 11:19:57

I've often wondered. It certainly puts me off because it seems they have something to hide.

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 11:22:26

glad I am not the only one who thinks it's a bit odd...

sixlostmonkeys Sun 07-Sep-08 11:38:33

do you mean this? -

**Protecting bidder User IDs *

26 March, 2008 | 08:00AM GMT

From 31st March, we'll start hiding the User IDs of members bidding on all auction-style listings on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie. All bidder IDs on the Bid History page and the high bidder's ID on the View Item page will be masked.

The winning bidder's ID will be shown once the listing has ended but the other bidders' IDs will remain hidden. Sellers will still see all the bidders' IDs on their listing when signed in, and each bidder will see their own ID when signed in.

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 11:51:19

hm....it was just different with this listing compared to others I have bid on recently....

must check, maybe it wasn't different at all....wonder why they done it...

MrsMagooo Sun 07-Sep-08 14:36:29

I know once when I was bidding on an item I was outbid - I then recieved an email from a different seller stating they were also selling the item I had been outbid on & would I like to buy it from them.

Maybe it's to stop that kind of thing?!

3andnomore Sun 07-Sep-08 18:02:05

hm...possible

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now