Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Quick! Buyer wants to pay paypal for item she's picking up tomorrow...

(13 Posts)
littlelamb Mon 01-Sep-08 20:23:14

She initially said cash but has just rung to say she has a voucher for 15% off with paypal. Am I right in thinking that if she pays paypal she could actually screw me over (I don't think she would iyswim, just don't want to risk it) as I would have no proof of delivery and she could claim her money back? The item is £200 so she would be getting £30 off, and I don't want her to lose out. Should I maybe offer 20 quid off if she brings the cash as promised? Arrrhghhh

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 20:24:51

tell her sorry, cash only.

why offer her money off?

fuck that.

she bid on an item and won it at the price it ended.

don't want her to lose out?

are you running a charity? no.

well then she can use the voucher elsewhere.

DontNeedAnything Mon 01-Sep-08 20:27:27

yes there is a buyer collection scam on paypal.

thet collect with no proof of collection. Raise a dispute with "goods not recieved". Paypal refund her. You loose the item and the cash.

And no you shouldn't subsidise her.

littlelamb Mon 01-Sep-08 20:29:35

I don't want her to back out of the sale. I have already had one non paying bidder and it has taken me a week to relist -I don't want to wait again. I will ring her back and see what she says. I just want this thing gone tbh and if £20 off means it goes then so be it. I need the money to pay the bloody great electric bill thats just come through hmm

QuintessentialShadow Mon 01-Sep-08 20:30:15

What does your listing say?
Do you accept paypal on a local pick up item?
Or, did you ask for cash?
You have to go by what your listing says.

I did this once, a buyer wanted to paypal in advance on a local pick up. I made the invoice ready, and asked him to sign it and say he had picked up the goods. Not sure paypal would accept it, if a dispute, but I was concerned because it was an expensive item, and I did not want them to withdraw the deposit saying item not received. It was ok in the end.

What is the buyers feedback like?

QuintessentialShadow Mon 01-Sep-08 20:31:14

You should not offer her money off, unless you have said in your listing you accept paypal.

For now, she has only asked, not insisted right?

littlelamb Mon 01-Sep-08 20:33:30

she has good feedback of 70 100% positive but so did the first buyer who backed out hmm I HATE what they have done to the feedback- as a seller it has completely screwed me over. I didn't state cash only on pickup, but when she emailed to confirm she would be collecting, she did say it would be cash. I just don't want her to back out and I know that for some people £30 could make the difference between paying and not iyswim

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 20:52:54

'I just don't want her to back out and I know that for some people £30 could make the difference between paying and not iyswim '

Thing is, a seller is obligated to obey the rules, too; that means no deals after the auction's over, the price is set.

Try selling on gumtree or in your local paper, AdTrader or on cards in a supermarket instead.

Too much room for getting ripped off on Ebay.

DEFINITELY DO NOT TAKE PAYPAL!

beautifulgirls Mon 01-Sep-08 22:04:48

how could paypal issue a voucher - surely they would lose money - sounds totally dodgey. Better to have to find another buyer than risk getting ripped off. I'd say cash or no sale. Make sure you get her to sign something to prove collection too just in case...

DontNeedAnything Mon 01-Sep-08 22:07:37

I have seen a place to enter "a discount code" on paypal transactions.

Don't know how it actually works though and where they come from.

ChippyMinton Mon 01-Sep-08 22:09:58

It will cost you to accept the paypal. I'd tell her NO tbh.

missjennipenni Mon 01-Sep-08 22:42:31

I have had 3 vouchers from paypal, they are legit. I had a 10% discount one only last week!

missjennipenni Mon 01-Sep-08 22:44:26

Just to clarify, signing a piece of peper is not proof enough for paypal.

Just for information for the future, the only proof pypal accept is ONLINE TRACKING. nothing else will suffice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now