Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What do you do if your item has sold for much less than you think it's worth ?

(15 Posts)
Lilyloo Sat 23-Aug-08 22:03:47

I have sold something to another country after buyer asked if i would dispatch to them.
Told postage costs but the item has gone for a real bargain price!
Is this just the chance you take with ebay ? Basically after ebay/paypal/postage costs i will be left with couple pounds for good item.
Do i just accept that the chance i took ?

paddingtonbear1 Sat 23-Aug-08 22:08:47

unfortunately I would say yes, if you want it to go for more you would need to put a reserve on it? not sure what the minimum is though (not sold on ebay but do buy stuff).
I assume you passed on the postage costs to the buyer.

thisisyesterday Sat 23-Aug-08 22:11:37

yep., if you wante dto sell it for more you should have put a reserve on it, or a higher starting price

Lilyloo Sat 23-Aug-08 22:12:31

just started selling so hope the price i gave for P+P covers it.
Oh well you win some you loose some hmm just seems i loose at the mo ! It a good train track set, Thomas for couple quid they gone for 4 times what i got!
Don't list for Sat night i think hmm

expatinscotland Sat 23-Aug-08 22:13:16

Yes, you accept it because you have to honour the auction price it sold for. Them's the rules.

Next time, but in a reserve or a desired starting price.

expatinscotland Sat 23-Aug-08 22:13:17

Yes, you accept it because you have to honour the auction price it sold for. Them's the rules.

Next time, but in a reserve or a desired starting price.

Lilyloo Sat 23-Aug-08 22:18:14

oh well hopefully i won't loose out on it and i will learn by this mistake !
Thanks

paddingtonbear1 Sat 23-Aug-08 22:18:15

Unless you put a starting price on it, it's the luck of the draw...
I bought 2 pairs of trousers by the same designer, both good condition, 1 I paid over 20 quid for, the other only a few quid.. bet the seller was gutted...

thisisyesterday Sat 23-Aug-08 22:21:25

lilyloo, when the buyer asked if you'd send it to another country did you say that you would have to charge extra for postage?
I would normally say that postage prices are for UK only, and if they want it shipped overseas then to contact me for a price

Lilyloo Sat 23-Aug-08 22:25:17

i asked for couple extra pound for postage so will likely break even oh well now i know!

NintyZelda Sat 23-Aug-08 22:41:25

As others have said you do have to honour the sale and should of started higher or with a reserve,
if you go on the Royal Mail website they have a postal calculator where you type in the weight and country and you can see all the options, e.g 1st, 2nd, air, surface
Hope this helps and loads of people make this mistake when they start but you'll soon get the hang of it smile Also check out the discussion boards on ebay, lots of newbies on them
The lowest reserve on ebay you can have is £50, so normally I have a higher starting price rather than use the reserve, I sell cheaper stuff! grin

Lilyloo Sat 23-Aug-08 22:48:55

thamks guess you have to make mistakes to learn from them and someone in Italy will be very happy now grin

Flibbertyjibbet Sat 23-Aug-08 23:04:54

You win some you lose some. Somethings go for a lot less than I'd like, others surprise me and get a lot more than I expect. So I don't look at the individual prices but the total adding up as I save for our holidays by ebaying the kids stuff.

Btw don't list anything that ends on a bank holiday weekend, everyone with kids is doing bank holiday stuff. I listed a load of stuff in May on a Monday afternoon and it all sold for peanuts as the day the auctions ended was a bank holiday monday! I have learned from experience though and will be shopping for bargains this monday grin

missjennipenni Sun 24-Aug-08 12:20:49

YOu can only put a reserve of £50 or more, so you cant use that on a low cost item. YOu can start close to the price you want for it though

bubblagirl Sun 24-Aug-08 12:36:41

if i didnt want something to go too low i would start at a higher price or do buy it now or best offer at price i think its worth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now