Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How do you package your items ? Toys mostly.

(10 Posts)
Lilyloo Thu 21-Aug-08 11:13:11

Just wondering best way to package them. Have just started selling and only sent books and dvd up to now.
I but the jiffy bags from post office for these.
But i have now listed some bigger items train tracks etc.
How should i package these ?
Thanks

mel1981 Thu 21-Aug-08 11:22:15

I usually buy the bigger jifft bags- i get them from my local pound shop or bubble wrap and brown paper them if they are too big. If its a soft toy or something that cant be damaged i get one of the plastic parcel bags which i buy on ebay but can prob get from your post office too. Or you can put then as collection but then that will limit who can buy them.

squilly Thu 21-Aug-08 12:27:15

We sell lots of toys on Ebay (our speciality to some degree )

We use boxes for packing. Anything from cereal boxes to shoe boxes and for the really big things supermarkets or electronic shops have some huge boxes you can scrounge.

The parcels can be sent via Royal Mail Standard Parcel quite economically if they're large, but then you have to carry them to the Post Office, which can be tricky.

For really big things, courier service is available from DHL for £6.99 + VAT for a 48 hour service. It's a great way to send items as it's fully tracked, you don't have to lug the parcel anywhere and delivery times are quick. You do, however, have to hang around the house all day on the day of collection (til they arrive,anyway) and they don't deliver to all areas of the UK, so this should be borne in mind.

Hope this helps but if you've got anything specific you need advice with, just give me a nudge.

Lilyloo Thu 21-Aug-08 15:49:30

Si if you send it in box do you just wrap it with brown paper ?
Is it cheaper to get jiffy bags/paper off ebay ?

squilly Thu 21-Aug-08 18:22:22

I'd say bags and paper are generally cheaper off Ebay. If you can find a local paper/bag supplier, it might be worth checking to see if you can get small quantities.

If you buy off Ebay, try searching on location, nearest first and see if you can collect your paper/bags. That way, you'll eliminate the postage costs.

Jiffy bags are also available from Poundland, 6 small ones for a pound; four larger ones for a pound, so quite cheap.

I would generally wrap with brown paper, but I've got a humungous roll, so it's cheap as chips. If you can't get cheap brown paper, you don't have to wrap the boxes, as long as there's no address/confusing text on them. Even then, you could tape over them with white paper if necessary.

Hope this helps....other people might have better ideas. If so, this is the place to put em..

Lilyloo Thu 21-Aug-08 18:42:13

wow will get off to pundland then i am paying 50p for a small one!
Thanks Squilly + Mel smile

mel1981 Thu 21-Aug-08 20:45:38

I actually got a big-ish roll of brown paper from my 99p store....so worth keeping an eye out even if your not selling at the time.

Lilyloo Fri 22-Aug-08 21:07:17

thanks been to the pound shop today and stocked up !

mel1981 Sat 23-Aug-08 11:26:40

pound shops are great arent they? no point paying stupid amounts for them.
good luck selling. smile

nicolamumof3 Sat 23-Aug-08 11:59:36

yep don't buy your packing materials from the post office....ssoooo expensive! I get jiffy's and brown paper in the poundshop and plastic bags for clothing etc from ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now