Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can I work out online anywhere how much this item will cost to post to Dublin its a D22 postcode

(16 Posts)
mumofdjandbabies Sat 16-Aug-08 22:41:42

sorry being dim grin

its a 1.63 sec class packet / 450g but I know posting to Dublin will be diff this mainland rate wont it?

tortoise Sat 16-Aug-08 22:43:14

Royal mail website will tell you.
Look up air mail prices.

sallysparkle Sat 16-Aug-08 22:44:49

Try here Royal Mail

bran Sat 16-Aug-08 22:45:07

According to the Royal Mail website it's £3.34.

You can print your own postage if you want to from www.royalmail.co.uk.

tortoise Sat 16-Aug-08 22:45:26

Here you go Irish republic 460g £3.39

bran Sat 16-Aug-08 22:46:14

tortoise is right, I can't read. wink

mumofdjandbabies Sat 16-Aug-08 22:46:42

aw thanks thats what i wasnt sure
is southern ireland classed as airmail then I take it

I am always a bit scared of the royal mail website but as my local PO is closing down and I cant nip and ask questions I had better buck up my act!!

mumofdjandbabies Sat 16-Aug-08 22:49:55

thanks guys

right so now can someone explain to me how you print out the labels

does it cost?

as with my local po closing and the next one miiiiiiiiiles away I think this could be a god send

but I am also scared of this process blush

bran Sat 16-Aug-08 23:02:44

You need to register on the website, and you have to pay by credit or debit card. It doesn't cost any more than if you went to the post office though.

The easiest thing to do is to print off the label onto paper and cut it out and stick it onto the parcel with sellotape. If you don't have a laser printer then it's best to cover the label with strips of sellotape if you can just in case the label gets wet and the ink runs.

I do a lot of postage online and have 4-to-a-sheet labels and find the whole thing much more convenient than trekking down to the post office.

bran Sat 16-Aug-08 23:04:19

Although, I should mention that the first time you do it it takes a bit of time to set up but it's much easier from then on.

mumofdjandbabies Sat 16-Aug-08 23:09:00

ooh Bran you make it sound so easy grin

I think I could do that!!! haha

If I try to register one night soon if youre about would you be my online mentor ha ha blush as I am bound to get stuck

I can but ask ha ha grin
(I am not kidding by they way)
krissyandchris @ tiscali.co.uk is my email grin

Do you then just put the parcels with the labels taped on into the PO in a bag ready for them to pop in their postbag(the ones that wont post thru the postbox that is)

Hope that made sense??

bran Sat 16-Aug-08 23:15:17

I'm not sure about things that won't fit into a post box. I used to just bring big packages to work and put it in the postbag there, but I guess now I would make the trip to the post office and put it in the parcel bag at the counter.

I'd by happy to talk you through it if you need me to, we could do it on here though no need to email necessarily.

I'm off to bed now, but post here if you get stuck with a couple of times that you are likely to be online and I will do my best.

I'm pretty sure lots of Mumsnetters use it so I'm sure someone will help if you need it. smile

Is this a one off or do you post lots of things? I can give you a link to the ebay shop where I buy plastic posting bags if you want, and somewhere like Staples would sell boxes of 4-to-a-page labels.

mumofdjandbabies Sat 16-Aug-08 23:25:35

aw thanks Bran!

ooh yes please to post bags links and labels

its stuff my kids have finished with on ebay so all shapes and sizes I will be posting grin xxx

can yuo give me the link to where i register my details and card etc
thanks mrs and ill get reading!!!

bran Sun 17-Aug-08 11:48:39

For some reason I can't post my whole reply in one go, so here it is split into two.

Here to register with Royal Mail. There is a link called "register" near the top of the page. To buy and print off your postage click on the link marked "print postage online" just under the heading "buy postage" in the middle of the page. It's pretty straight forward, I managed it the first time with not too much bother.

If you're printing onto paper then it's best to print the smallest size label (which is the first option I think) and cut or fold it to size to stick onto your parcel.

One thing worth noting is that if you are printing 4 to a page labels from Royal Mail you get the choice of top left/top right/bottom left/bottom right, but the bottom ones don't line up correctly IME. So I always choose top left or top right and just turn the label sheet around.

bran Sun 17-Aug-08 11:49:28

I buy my mailing bags from this seller on ebay. I usually buy the medium sized bags because I belong to a book swapping site and they are the right size for novels, but the seller also has sets of mixed bag sizes (with doc wallets) or large/extra large bags.

If you don't have a laser printer then I suggest buying some stick on document wallets to display the postage and address but keep it from getting wet. Then you can just print onto paper, pop it into the plastic pouch and stick it on the front of the parcel. This will probably work out a bit cheaper than buying labels too unless you are going to be sending more than 100 parcels, although obviously it's a little more time consuming than printing onto labels. I bought 4 to a page labels from Staples so I don't have an online shop for them.

mumofdjandbabies Mon 18-Aug-08 07:21:52

thanks bran

little one has been ill so havent been on but thanks for your help
il investigate when i get a min grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now