Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Please help...what does this mean?

(10 Posts)
playdoh Fri 08-Aug-08 21:53:21

I'm new to ebay and have received this message

"hi! would you accept dispatching the item to a different UK address than the registered address?"

I'm not quite sure what the issues are and if I should be wary of this, and if so why?

Goober Fri 08-Aug-08 21:59:42

Will be ok if you send it recorded delivery, so it has to be signed for.
I think the only concerns are that the buyer might say the item hasn't arrived, which they could say anyway.

Answer to the buyer: As long as you accept responsibility for loss or damage.

justjules Fri 08-Aug-08 22:02:07

i would hang on,

there are reasons i am sure that it can be dodgy to do this but i cant remember them,

someone else may know why,

could it be that they could argue that you sent it to the wrong address even if you did have proof of postage,

thisisyesterday Fri 08-Aug-08 22:10:34

it could be dodgy because the account may have been hacked into.

say I hacked into your account I could then buy stuff, use your paypal account attached to it and then request that you send the good to a different (my) address.

Goober Fri 08-Aug-08 22:12:21

They could argue that if it was a normal sale too.
I have done this before, it was fine. I just emailed the seller to say ok but I take no responsibility.
It is probably not dodgy, they may want the item as a present and want it sent directly to the recipient.

DontNeedAnything Fri 08-Aug-08 22:14:58

I wouldn't do it.

IIRC you have no seller protection unless you send to teh registered address.

I could be wrong though

justjules Fri 08-Aug-08 22:24:22

yeh, the account high jacking and the registered address theories are ringing bells

playdoh Fri 08-Aug-08 22:28:26

Thanks everyone. There was something about this making my alarm bills ring!

thisisyesterday Fri 08-Aug-08 22:33:04

of course there are reasons why it could be completely innocent.

I did it once, i'd moved, and hadn't updated my address. thankfull I'd moved out of my parents home so I was able to pick it up.
but I guess if you'd moved, hadn't updated it and then had bought something you could find yourseld in the same situation.

risky though.

sixlostmonkeys Sat 09-Aug-08 07:09:54

They can add a gift address to their paypal account - should solve any problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now