Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

if you win something on ebay which is collect only do you pay in advance?

(7 Posts)
bigspender30 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:18:28

sorry, I have just won something on ebay which i have to collect and not sure of the etiquette here-do i pay as normal through paypal or give cash? Am i only covered through paypal should anything go wrong?

paddingtonbear1 Wed 06-Aug-08 13:22:12

What does the seller say they will accept?
If it was me I would pay cash when I collected the goods and was happy with them.
If you're going to collect, many sellers prefer cash anyway.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 06-Aug-08 13:22:22

I have only ever paid cash on collection if picking something up.
I always email when I've won to get the sellers details for pickup and say 'I will bring payment with me' so if thats not ok then they will say so.

DP did once buy something from quite a distance away near his mothers. he paid by paypal but only because we had said we would not be able to pick it up for a couple of weeks and it seemed unfair to keep the seller waiting for his money.

Yes you are only covered through paypal if something goes wrong BUT if you are collecting it and can inspect it before paying and leaving - what can go wrong?

missjennipenni Wed 06-Aug-08 19:46:16

The seller is the one who is leaving themselves open to Pay[pal fraud if they accept paypal for a collected item. The buyer could do a chargeback for item not recieved, and would get a full refund.

As a buyer, you have nothing to lose!

bigspender30 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:49:34

cool! thanks everyone

lindseyfox Thu 07-Aug-08 20:01:25

ive always paid cash

won some 90 by 90 patio door curtains once that would have cost me £200 in shop for £5.02!! postage would have been £25 but emailed and asked to collect before bidding!!

my only real ebay bargain

tori32 Thu 07-Aug-08 20:11:06

I paid to collect through paypal, but sold a pram and was paid cash on collection. So it doesn't matter really. Although I think you are better to go through paypal because if there ends up being a claim at least you can use the dispute system. HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now