Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

If an item has no bids, can it be changed to a "buy it now"?

(12 Posts)
Flier Tue 05-Aug-08 22:54:55

I've contacted a seller who has given me the price they'd like for the things they are selling. I said, ok, if you change it to a buy it now then I'll pay by paypal. he says that he can't do this and I can pay him directly by paypal, but surely I'm better doing it through ebay????
I'm sure I've bought something in the past where the seller has changed it to a buy it now...

kid Tue 05-Aug-08 22:57:02

they will probably have to remove it then relist it. That will cost them a little bit extra but I would prefer that than risk trading outside of ebay.

Flier Tue 05-Aug-08 23:02:06

thanks kid, i replied saying no thanks as i'd rather have the protection of an ebay transaction. pity, as was a good price.

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 05-Aug-08 23:06:33

I recently sold something which I changed to a buy it now.
Pair of Clarks sandals and the lady who wanted them needed them for holiday that started before the auction closed.
I changed it to a buy it now but can't remember how - might have been in 'amend listing' then go to the part when you say whether its to be auction or buy it now, and just change it.
What your seller is trying to do is End The Auction. Which you can do if there are no bids and its more than 24 hours to go. He is trying to avoid the final price fees. Forget the item, find another one. A seller that wants to do this is not reputable and might not send the goods.
Def better doing it through ebay, what if he does not send the goods but you can't prove he ever agreed to send them? All ebay will have is an auction ended early.

Flier Tue 05-Aug-08 23:08:38

thanks flibberty. in addition to this he is a new seller, no feedback, so probably best to steer clear. Got some others now anyway (was party bags).

lisad123 Tue 05-Aug-08 23:08:49

you revise the listing, as long as no bids, its easy

SparklyGothKat Tue 05-Aug-08 23:09:32

ahh if he is a newbie seller he can't use BIN anyway.

Flier Tue 05-Aug-08 23:09:43

maybe he doesn't realise it, if he is new to ebay? who knows?

Flier Tue 05-Aug-08 23:10:15

oh, is that right sparklygothkat?

SparklyGothKat Tue 05-Aug-08 23:11:23

yes newbies can't use BIN until they have a certain number of auctions ended.. and feedback given

Flier Tue 05-Aug-08 23:12:13

oh right, thanks.

DontNeedAnything Tue 05-Aug-08 23:14:22

Yes I concur with SGK smile

And with it being a new seller it would be even more risky for you to trade "offline"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now