Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

VAT on "virtually new" item

(7 Posts)
Jampot Thu 31-Jul-08 14:20:55

ds wanted some cymbals for his drum kit. they were described as "virtually new". They have now arrived with an invoice which includes vat. I thought you could only charge VAT on new items?

mousemole Thu 31-Jul-08 18:06:28

pretty sure you are right Jampot. I would contest it !

DRAGON30 Thu 31-Jul-08 22:55:08

Hmmm.I buy a lot of things at conventional Auction Houses, and the Buyers Premium (usually around 20%) includes VAT. And we are talking antiques here, so certainly not new! It may have something to do with the seller being VAT registered, perhaps, which happens if your turnover is above a certain level.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 31-Jul-08 23:03:14

nothing to do with the "newness" of the item - it depends on whether the seller is a VAT registered business, if they are they have to charge VAT on sales.
Presumably the invoice has a VAT number? If not it isn't valid.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 31-Jul-08 23:04:49

but if it is e-bay presumably you have already paid - and so your price was gross and it just means the seller has to pay a percentage over to HMRC. If so it doesn't matter to you that VAT has been charged?

mousemole Fri 01-Aug-08 08:42:39

very good point chasing squirrels. Your transaction is complete so cant charge you any more. Just wanted to check though - did the price you pay incldue VAT and you saw it listed as part of the price when it arrived or was it added on top of what you thought you were paying ?

SparklingSarah Sun 03-Aug-08 23:55:52

no VAT is not just chargeable on new goods its nothing to do with new or used

if the seller has a turnover of 67 k then they have to charge for VAT if they are registered to do so it is a criminal offence if they don't charge VAT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now