Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can not understand why the buyer won Paypal dispute.

(23 Posts)
pinkcandyfloss Wed 23-Jul-08 16:55:44

Sold a wii game on ebay a few weeks ago. Buyer was new and had brought several similar in a few days.
He paid and I sent the item.

Find out the day after it has been delivered that the buyer has opened a dispute for non-receipt. No prior email to me through eBay or anything!

I sent the item by recorded delivery and so assumed it would be be a problem as I provided the tracking information which showed the item had been delivered to that address and signed for.

However, I not long ago received an email saying the buyer had won and the money had been returned to them, leaving my account -£22 as it was empty by that time.

I am fuming! If recorded delivery is not enough proof that the item got there then I don't know what is!

What really annoys me is that the game was new and sealed (had brought as part of a wii fit bundle but already had the game) so he's probably been able to sell it on for about £25 - his ebay name suggested he was a trader, hence making about £47 out of me! angry

I have emailed Paypal to ask exactly the reason why he won the dispute as I can not understand it! Awaiting a reply.

pinkcandyfloss Wed 23-Jul-08 16:56:29

assumed it would not be a problem

PortAndLemon Wed 23-Jul-08 17:00:23

It sounds barmy -- lt us know what PayPal say.

MrsMagooo Wed 23-Jul-08 17:21:03

That's nuts!!!!

Fingers crossed PP realise they've made a huge error - personally I'd ring them!

rrrayray Wed 23-Jul-08 17:50:48

This is nuts...... I'm sure Paypal will correct their mistake eventually. Get onto them!!

MrsSnape Wed 23-Jul-08 18:05:08

I'm hearing really bad stuff about ebay and paypal lately, I'm starting to feel a bit put off the whole thing.

I too will be watching this thread with interest.

aDad Wed 23-Jul-08 18:11:14

How annoying!

Sounds like he's onto a nice little scam if they let him get away with that.

pinkcandyfloss Wed 23-Jul-08 18:34:39

Yes! This is the first time it has happened to me in 5 years of eBaying.
I just don't understand it when the evidence is there in front of their eyes.
Obviously Royal Mail will not compensate either because as far as they are concerned it has been delivered and signed for.
No reply as yet, will definitely ring them if I do not get a response in the near future.

I do not think Paypal handle these claims very well at all. I would of at least expected it to say in the email why the dispute was found in his favour. Instead it was just literally that the case had been closed and the transaction reversed to the buyer. angry

pinkcandyfloss Thu 24-Jul-08 08:56:04

Well I rang them this morning and they said the money was taken from an unauthorised account ie stolen details and that was why the money was sent back to the buyer. sad So basically I have lost the game and the money and there is sod all they'll do about it.

She told me I should take the time to review the Paypal seller protection policy angry so basically saying that there is no protection against it!

She said I should contact the buyer through eBay and see if they are willing to pay me again for it...yes, because that is very likely isn't it! angry

aDad Thu 24-Jul-08 09:23:25

Worth a shot though isn't it? Although it does sound like the buyer doesn't have any sense of decency.

Perhaps also let ebay know (again?) - maybe other sellers have reported this buyer for similar behaviour.

Sorry!

MsPontipine Thu 24-Jul-08 09:30:26

shock

LittleMissNorty Thu 24-Jul-08 09:39:22

Did you send it to the registered address on Paypal? Did it match to the address on e-bay?

That sounds really odd....you presumably have the details of the person that bought it.....is there anything you can do from that point of view? Haven't they stolen someone's paypal details? Aren't paypal interested from that point of view....I thought they prided themselves on their security.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 24-Jul-08 09:43:26

Could be the users account was hacked.
Pita for you. Very big worry for the user, if that was the case. If the account was hacked, they could have changed the address details so it would match.

MrsMagooo Thu 24-Jul-08 10:16:38

I know you may not want to but I would contact the police as it's fraud.

If they've done it to you imagine how many other people they've done it too shock

I had a problem with a seller who ripped me off so I involved the police - it's taken about 2 months but I got a phone call the other day to say the seller is going to be arrested in the next few days as quote 'she has been having a field day' & has apparently been raking it in by signing up under all different trading names shock

ScaryHairy Thu 24-Jul-08 10:19:40

Contact the police. You sent the item to an address, so it should be easy for them to trace the fraudster.

(Actually, they have committed fraud by using stolen account details, and theft by not paying you - it is a matter for the police)

2point4kids Thu 24-Jul-08 10:23:09

I dont get this...
Even if the person who owns the paypal account didnt authorise the transation they still recived the game because it would have been sent to the addtress on the paypal account no?

So if they have been refunded because they didnt want to buy the game then they should be told to return the game or pay up for it!

pinkcandyfloss Thu 24-Jul-08 10:24:36

DH is going to ring the police I think as it looks like they won about £300 worth of computer games within a couple of days, although mine was one of the first so didn't look so dodgy before.

Their addresses matched so yes I assume account was hacked and changed! Know person's name who signed for it at the address although nothing was stopping them using a fake one I guess.

Have filed a non payment dispute through eBay so they will contact them and if nothing else at least I'll get the eBay fees back.

Just looked at their bidding activity and after mine there were about 30 others that they had won so there must be other sellers going through the same thing.

DH wants to send them a nice dog poo through the post haha!

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Thu 24-Jul-08 10:27:31

I thought paypal only took 'refunds' from accounts if the money was in your paypal account? Not leaving a negative.
Let us know how you get on.

pinkcandyfloss Thu 24-Jul-08 10:30:39

No unfortunately not. My account was empty because I had transferred it out to bank account (had sold some other items too) and now my account is -£22.

I need to put the money back in there (tells me when I log in) which I am not happy about but I'm going to have to if I ever need to use Paypal again I guess

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Thu 24-Jul-08 12:24:56

Never heard of this! Can't see how this can happen. Surely they can't just remove money that isn't there!
What an arse of a buyer you have had.

2point4kids Thu 24-Jul-08 12:24:59

Oh I see, they changed the address! Makes sense now.
Terrible that paypal wont do anything though. They have the persons address and evidence that they stole all thoise games!

ilovemydog Thu 24-Jul-08 12:31:17

I don't get it.

Problem is that ebay is widely available and sells items when local classifieds don't.

I would also call local press -paper/TV station . It may be that publicity will shame them into taking action

crokky Thu 24-Jul-08 13:03:33

I'm taking a break from eBay now. I've sold a fair bit of stuff over the years on there (generally my own/family stuff that we've finished with) and I am totally fed up with everything now being in the buyer's favour.

I've been paid by PayPal and sent the item. Still the buyer has clawed back money through PayPal for no reason without my permission. I even emailed PayPal saying "please don't refund until I have got my item returned to me". They did anyway. There is no seller protection now.

I'm totally fed up with it, so yesterday when I found an item that I might have considered eBaying, I gave it away to a mumsnetter instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now