Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

2 questions for experienced ebay sellers!!! please help!

(20 Posts)
skirmish Mon 21-Jul-08 12:31:42

Have only just started selling bits and pieces on ebay and haven't had any problems until:

1. Sold a pair of baby bootees, posted them in a padded jiffy bag and the buyer has sent me an email saying the box is ruined and he cannot give them as a gift as he intended to when he bought them. He's asking me if i'll take them back. Obviously, it is partly my responsibility as I haven't packaged them well enough. Would everyone just refund the money then?

2. Another item i send 1st class has gone missing - do I wait the 3wks and then log a missing parcel form with Royal Mail - again, what do most people do? (and, yes, I realised I could have sent them recorded!)

Thanks

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:44:01

Message withdrawn

skirmish Mon 21-Jul-08 12:47:06

thanks -
figured the answer was to refund for both - but, what, (and i know it's a remote possibility) if the item ends up turning up?!

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:49:34

Message withdrawn

pgwithnumber3 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:50:10

Oh always always always always always send any item, no matter how little it is worth, recorded delivery. Cover your back!

Lesson learned I think!

skirmish Mon 21-Jul-08 12:50:46

indeed!

(dammit though!)

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 12:57:06

To be honest, I would put up a fight with the bootees and say that the actual item is not damaged so you won't refund.

pgwithnumber3 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:57:24

I know, the first thing I sold on ebay, I wrapped it all in pink tissue (was a used Mulberry purse so quite expensive). That was the first and last time I spent lavish attention on wrapping anything I sold again.

Always wrap everything in bubble wrap a few times, either box it or put it in an envelope (if too big don't bother, just tons of tape) and then parcel tape it up, all over. The buyer will need the SAS to open it when they receive it but at least you know it is bomb proof!

pgwithnumber3 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:58:13

Not worth receiving negative feedback though wotulookinat.

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:58:18

Message withdrawn

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 13:01:17

I would take the risk grin
(and I do have 100% feedback)

skirmish Mon 21-Jul-08 13:04:43

i thought that as well Wot, but i just can't be arsed with an arguement,- i can always try and re-sell without box! Think I will put a fight against the undelivered one though!...well, try and be civil about it of course!

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 13:06:37

Message withdrawn

wotulookinat Mon 21-Jul-08 13:07:07

Could you offer the bootee man just the postal charges back? It worked for a friend of mine when she sent something that got completely ruined in the post.
As a buyer, I wouldn't be best impressed, but as a seller, I would try it!

skirmish Mon 21-Jul-08 13:10:07

knickers - i'm not that really worried about the neg feedback that much, i only sell bits and pieces so don't use it to make a living as such...but, how does the dispute work - do i end up refunding her or does paypal do it?

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 13:18:07

Message withdrawn

skirmish Mon 21-Jul-08 13:19:25

oh, so it's basically a no win situation for me then!

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 13:21:15

Message withdrawn

skirmish Mon 21-Jul-08 13:22:33

terrific! (at least they didn't sell for that much then!!)

thanks for your help

Celery Mon 21-Jul-08 13:31:26

I usually just write off bad eBay transactions, and put them down to experience. Unless the buyer is being obnoxious or clearly a scammer, I will always refund and never leave negative feedback. 9 times out of 10 everything goes smoothly, and I pride my 100% feedback too much to risk it over anything petty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now