Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants all bank details including name and address..

(17 Posts)
Trix11 Mon 21-Jul-08 11:38:03

I sold an item on Ebay and the purchaser made the payment but did not pay for the P&P and he is in Belgium. I sent him a message requesting the p&p and he asked for my bank details, I gave him the sort code and account no. Now he says the bank in Belgium need my name and address too. Is this safe to give out? Does it sound a bit dodgy - he has paid over £250.00 for the item I sold!

WingsofaAngel Mon 21-Jul-08 11:43:49

How did he pay originally ?
How much is postage you are owed ?

PortAndLemon Mon 21-Jul-08 11:44:59

Sounds very dodgy to me.

PortAndLemon Mon 21-Jul-08 11:45:51

Mind you, he can get your name and address from eBay (there's a link somewhere to request it) if he's genuinely dodgy...

KnickersOnMaHead Mon 21-Jul-08 12:45:24

Message withdrawn

Brangelina Mon 21-Jul-08 12:50:25

You need to give him the IBAN n° and ideally the BIC/Swift code, UK sort code absolutely no use to anyone abroad. There's nothing dodgy about him asking for your details, the more he has to give to the bank the less likely anything is to go astray. You are a suspicious lot! And I thought my mum was paranoidgrin.

That said, complete IBAN + BIC on their own should be sufficient for him to send funds.

ib Mon 21-Jul-08 12:51:17

If I send money from France to the UK I need account name, number, sort code, bank address and swift code and IBAN.

Sort code and acct no. will NOT do the trick.

And I would never pay via paypal from here as they take the piss with the exchange rate.

ib Mon 21-Jul-08 12:52:01

x post with brangelina!

Brangelina Mon 21-Jul-08 12:54:11

Agree with Paypal and crap exchange rate. That said, it costs me 21 euros to send a non Euro bank transfer (when are the UK going to join the euro????!!!), so sometimes the crappy exchange rate is better.

Trix11 Tue 22-Jul-08 09:31:53

Thanks everyone - what is the IBAN n° and the BIC/Swift code? Do I have to contact the bank for that?

ib Tue 22-Jul-08 12:12:04

IBAN = international bank account number
swift/bic = branch identification code

your bank should be able to give them to you, if they are not on your bank statements.

cupsoftea Tue 22-Jul-08 13:17:17

why not just use paypal?

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Tue 22-Jul-08 14:07:15

Can't believe you would give your bank details to a complete stranger!!

Trix11 Wed 23-Jul-08 09:04:08

My buyer said he cant pay through papal now that he has completed the payment!! Doesn't he just need my email address to make an additional payment?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Jul-08 09:08:56

He may be less used to paypal? I gather, in Europe, bank transfers are more common.

Brangelina Wed 23-Jul-08 12:40:56

Yes, all transactions I've had with Belgium, France and Germany have involved bank transfers. Very rarely is Paypal offered and it tends only to be a last resort.

That said he should be able to make an additional payment using just your email address. Maybe you should try confirming the email address to be used to him. Or even issue and another invoice for the missing money?

Trix11 Wed 23-Jul-08 19:04:05

How do I issue another invoice for the shortfall?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now