Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Top ebay tips (for selling)

(8 Posts)
shreddies Tue 28-Aug-07 11:13:21

Right, I've had a good sort out and have lots to sell(mostly good quality clothes I had before DS)

So far I know to put up lots of pics, and I think I will put "sold as seen, no refunds, no exchanges". What are your top tips?

chopster Tue 28-Aug-07 11:20:02

Seeing that comment on a listing would put me off a bit, I would think the seller had soemthing to hide.

I'd stick to good clear pictures and an accurate description with measurements as well as sizes if they are adult clothes. Be reasonable with your postage charges.

If you describe accurately you can then refuse refunds later if you need to.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 28-Aug-07 11:23:12

be prepapred to use pay per drop £6 a parcel upto 30kg for uk. works out a lot cheaper than royal mail for bulkier items.

give a time limit to be paid or made contact with (ie, contact to be made within 48 hours, payment in 7 days)

good clear pictures, make sure you note any marks or stains.

good description.

shreddies Tue 28-Aug-07 11:23:43

Thanks chopster, that's helpful. Are there any days that are better to end auctions on than others? And can you specify how long you have an item up for?

chopster Tue 28-Aug-07 11:29:50

I start with 5 day listings for clothing, then increase it if I don't have any bids. If you want to increase the listing time, remember to do it before the last 24 hours, because then you can't change it. I aim for mine to finish around 9pm and avoid fri and sat nights. I find wed and thurs are pretty good days to finish.

shreddies Tue 28-Aug-07 11:30:32

Ooh, and thanks LVoC, I think I crossposted with you - is pay per drop a service through ebay?

sixlostmonkeys Tue 28-Aug-07 18:32:43

top tip = don't put "sold as seen, no refunds, no exchanges"
Sold as seen can't be applied to an online auction as the buyer doesn't actually see it until it's delivered.
Refunds must be given if the item doesn't arrive at it's destination or isn't as described.

use photobucket for extra pics - it's free.

Best day to end is generally known to be sunday evening. Make sure your end time doesn't clash with any 'top' prog on the tv.
& or 10 day listings are best to gain more viewers. You can no longer extend your listing time once the auction is live.

Ending on or around payday is good too.

Good luck smile

Pannacotta Tue 28-Aug-07 18:39:57

Good advice from sixlostmonkeys, would second all of that.
I do think the photos are v important, iron anything which needs ironing, any adult clothes should be photographed on decent hangers, take against white or plain backgrounds. Also suggest low starting prices to avoid high fees, though this depends on what you are selling and if you are keen simply to get rid of things such as baby clothes, or make some money such as designer handbags etc.
Make a note of any flaws/marks/stains etc and if something is valuable send it special delivery so it is properly insured as it is the seller's responsibility to get it to the buyer safely.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: