Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants me tor efund her becasue the item was damaged in the post. She wants to keep the tiem though

(57 Posts)
saltire Wed 22-Aug-07 11:18:56

Posted a print off in a tube on Saturday, got email today from buyer saying "item arrived today, unfortunately we have a problem, as postal tube got all damaged. I would like a refund, will keep the print though and let you claim back from Post Office".

Am I right in thinking that she would need to send me the print back before I give her a refund. She claims she has phtots of the damage, but I don't see why I should refund her and let her keep the print, damaged or otherwise

Fimbo Wed 22-Aug-07 11:20:27

It's hardly your fault the tube got damaged in the post. I don't know what happens in these cases though.

kitsandbits Wed 22-Aug-07 11:20:40

Just say if you wnat a refund sent the item back.

No item, no refund.

Sounds like a money grabber

fedupwasherwoman Wed 22-Aug-07 11:20:57

she should return the goods for a refund, that's the general rule.

E-mail her quick before she says "oh sorry I binned it"

CarGirl Wed 22-Aug-07 11:21:16

For a start don't refund her until you've received a refund from the royal mail, you don't usually get a refund for the postage costs so you can't refund her that, we usually ask buyers to split the loss.

I would ask for photographic evidence and royal mail will want evidence of the damage to the parcel.

fedupwasherwoman Wed 22-Aug-07 11:22:03

It would be too easy for her to take a colour photocopy and deliberately damage the copy in order to take pictures of the damage.

expatinscotland Wed 22-Aug-07 11:25:34

There seems to be a lot of chancers and scammers on Ebay these days.

southeastastra Wed 22-Aug-07 11:26:50

how rude! she should send the lot back

saltire Wed 22-Aug-07 11:26:57

I've just checked her email again, and it's not come through "my messages" at ebay. Instead it is from paypal, she has replied on her original receipt email from paypal. Its hard to describe, but you know when you pay someone with paypal, you get an email from paypal saying somethign along the lines to "here is your receipt for payment to X".

Her email address seems to be paypal_payment@xxxx.xxx (obviously I'm not putting the email address in here.

CarGirl Wed 22-Aug-07 11:28:03

contact her via ebay then, stating what she has said.

saltire Wed 22-Aug-07 11:31:12

If I write this

Sorry to hear about the damage to the parcel, its the first time I have heard of one of my postal tubes being damaged. If you send me the print and the original tube back, I will let Royal Mail see them and then will refund you for the cost of the print"

Does it come across as me saying "I don't believe you"?

CarGirl Wed 22-Aug-07 11:33:03

I think you need to offer her a refund of the full original amount if she returns it to you?

saltire Wed 22-Aug-07 11:34:53

Ok then I will give her a refund of the price she paid plus her original postage, but does my message sound ok?

I don't need to refund her the postage when she send it back as well do I?

expatinscotland Wed 22-Aug-07 11:35:59

No, just the original cost of the item and the postage, I'd have thought.

BUT, you realise she is trying to take the mick with this 'I'll keep the print and you can claim the money back from Royal Mail' crock?

southeastastra Wed 22-Aug-07 11:36:20

when we refund we just wait for it to be returned then refund the original amount (with the postage).

i'd just put:

Sorry to hear about the damage to the parcel. Please return and i will refund.

short and to the point

saltire Wed 22-Aug-07 11:38:16

expat, I do think she is taking the piss.I also have on all my listings that nay refunds will be given if item is returned within 7 days.

I have sent out 12 of these prints in the same type tube and no one has complained about it or said they were damaged.

saltire Wed 22-Aug-07 11:39:22

sea - should I perhaps put that I would refund her money once I have received compensation from Royal Mail

expatinscotland Wed 22-Aug-07 11:40:23

Basically, she is trying to rip you off and will likely flog the print on.

You have stated your returns/refunds policy clearly.

southeastastra Wed 22-Aug-07 11:41:20

that would take a while and if you've stated that refunds would be given within 7 days i imagine it would take longer that that to get compensation.

CarGirl Wed 22-Aug-07 11:42:09

perhaps just put that as stated is it is damaged she needs to return it urgently to be within the 7 day deadline as stated on your terms & conditions and on receipt you will refund

MerlinsBeard Wed 22-Aug-07 11:42:21

no!

no item no refund simple as that!

she gets a refund on reciept of the item if it is actualy damaged.

CarGirl Wed 22-Aug-07 11:42:29

How much did the item cost?

NAB3 Wed 22-Aug-07 11:44:11

"I would like a refund, will keep the print though and let you claim back from Post Office".

That's nice of her.

madamez Wed 22-Aug-07 11:46:47

No return, no refund. It's up to the recipient to claim damages from the Post Office in a case like this, it's not the sender's fault.
Ebay is getting full of whiners as well as scammers. I had one or two buyer complain the item was not in as good condition as described (it was an old music mag, in 'good' condition which is, I suppose, subjective. It wasn't ripped up or mouldy.) I gave one a refund when she returned the item, offered another the choice of partial refund and keep the item or full refund if he returned it.

saltire Wed 22-Aug-07 11:49:09

cargirl it cost £5.00 and £2.50 P&P, although I think it was actually £1.20 to post, but I allowed some extra for packaging and getting to PO. In fact it is acutally 30p cheaper than the last 2 similar tubes I posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now