Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone started an eBay business?

(18 Posts)
15minpaidbreak Thu 18-Jul-19 22:44:12

And is it successful? I'd like to do this, but I don't know what I should sell.

I basically want a side hustle (that then develops into a successful business, allowing me to leave my current job 😳).

19lottie82 Fri 19-Jul-19 01:03:08

I used to have one for about 5 years, but it wasn’t worth it in the end. I used to import goods from China. The main work was researching what would sell.

No one can really tell you what to sell. Unless you have a niche market, it’s just a case of finding things that are just becoming popular and sell them to make a profit until eBay becomes saturated with sellers and the price drops too much.

19lottie82 Fri 19-Jul-19 01:04:24

that then develops into a successful business, allowing me to leave my current job

I don’t mean to sound harsh, but realistically, this is unlikely.

OneInEight Fri 19-Jul-19 07:18:30

Yes, we just about do. Unlike, Lottie though we sell second-hand goods basically because the profit margin is much greater than on new items (if you chose and buy correctly of course). We started small just to occupy myself if I am honest when I had to give up my job because of caring responsibilities but have built it up where if it gives us a reasonable income. I put in a lot of hours though.

15minpaidbreak Fri 19-Jul-19 08:22:08

Thanks 🙂 - I know it's unlikely to work, but at the same time, I don't want to go on in my current workplace for another 30 years.

amylou8 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:42:33

I make a living from eBay selling second hand goods. I use Facebook marketplace too. It's definitely do able if you put the time in.

delilahbucket Sat 03-Aug-19 09:19:14

Yes and yes, it is my full time job. But I don't just sell on eBay, and I certainly wouldn't recommend eBay to anyone just starting out. You need to be tougher than old boots to sell on there these days.

15minpaidbreak Sat 03-Aug-19 13:23:28

😄 OK, maybe I need a plan B.

Northernsoullover Sat 03-Aug-19 13:24:59

Can I ask if people sell their own second stuff or do you buy it to sell on?

19lottie82 Sat 03-Aug-19 16:45:10

Selling your own stuff isn’t a business. You only enter that category, which means registering with the HMRC and having an eBay business account, when you buy things to resell.

KatyMac Sat 03-Aug-19 16:49:45

Can I hijack - is Etsy as aggressive as eBay?

Doing similar @15minpaidbreak; but because I had an op and I won't be going back to work anytime soon!

delilahbucket Sat 03-Aug-19 19:50:26

Etsy isn't as bad as eBay but they are headed in the same direction. They are definitely trying to become more like eBay, but as to how long a full transition takes, no one knows.

KatyMac Sat 03-Aug-19 21:49:34

& what about places like Folksy or Depop?

KatyMac Sat 03-Aug-19 22:47:40

I found this which is interesting but might not be relevent to you @15minpaidbreak

delilahbucket Sun 04-Aug-19 09:15:17

You won't sell much, if anything at all on Folksy or Depop. The only customers are the sellers. You would do better with your own website.

KatyMac Sun 04-Aug-19 09:26:05

Interesting

It's so bloody confusing

KatyMac Sun 04-Aug-19 09:27:52

If I did my own website it would be:
*website/hosting fees
*paypal fees
*somesort of advertising fees

Facebook looks very attractive with instagram as an advertising tool

speakout Mon 12-Aug-19 08:02:34

I have a small business selling stuff online- Amazon and ebay.

It is full time and earns me more profit than my OH earns working full time in a decent job. I will need to employ others to help me soon.

It is absolutely possible, many people earn a good salary using ebay as a platform for selling. Far better than a bricks and mortar shop if you find a niche.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »