Talk

Advanced search

Facebook Selling and Paypal

(7 Posts)
mememe2019 Tue 16-Jul-19 13:04:44

Hi

I posted something for sale on facebook marketplace its worth about £200 so I anted to sell it to someone who would do a local pick up and pay cash. I didn't want to out it on Ebay as I wanted local people. to collect in person. I have been contacted by someone about 5 hours away who is asking me to post it. I am tempted but I hear all the time on here about people claiming the item has not arrived and putting in a charge back claim. I don't sell often but I do sometimes buy on Ebay and I have a Paypal account. Any suggestions - should I just say no and wait for a local buyer? Ask the current "buyer" to pay on paypal? Would that help? I am generally a very trusting person and I like to believe people are basically honest. I have seen many horror stories on here.

GoBrookeYourself Tue 16-Jul-19 13:09:00

I personally wouldn’t risk it; if you’re sure the item is exactly as described, get them to pay by bank transfer, although they may not want to. PayPal will allow them to raise a dispute and if you have proof of postage they may say the item wasn’t as described or something like that. Personally I’d ask for a bank transfer which they can’t claim back or wait for a local buyer.

GoBrookeYourself Tue 16-Jul-19 13:10:12

You can still put it on eBay and mark it as collection only, but you’re then subject to the eBay charges. It may get more people looking at it though.

mememe2019 Tue 16-Jul-19 13:20:48

Thanks we are not in a rush to sell it (but it is taking up space). I didn't put it on ebay as i didn't people asking about postage. I thought facebook would mean we only get locals. It is sad though that some idiots spoil things and force the res of us to think the worst of people.

mememe2019 Tue 16-Jul-19 13:21:16

Item is exactly as described but I get your point.

GoBrookeYourself Tue 16-Jul-19 14:47:37

Sorry, I didn’t mean to insinuate it wouldn’t be; I meant for example if there’s a small scratch or anything you haven’t noticed, it could be used against you, you have to be so careful! Agree about some people spoiling it for others; have you tried Shpock? I’ve sold a few things on there before and it’s free to list.

mememe2019 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:58:18

I knew thats what you meant. I realise if you "upsell" even inadvertently something you can end up in a lot of strife. I have posted this item on facebook with loads of photos from all angles and with offers to allow viewings

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »