Talk

Advanced search

HELP EBAY WIZARDS!

(12 Posts)
MsHopey Fri 12-Jul-19 08:36:08

My Mom sold a wii U limited edition Zelda console a few weeks ago.
She took lots of pictures and had a big description.
It was sold as used condition.
The buyer is now claiming he wants a full refund because as a collector he is upset that a little bit of inner cardboard packaging is missing as this no longer makes it a collector's item.
I mean, it's been used by a 13 year old, so probably wasnt ever going to be a collectors item.
Hes opened a case as "not as described: parts missing".
My mom wants to fight it, but I have said that these threads pretty much always say if they've stated item not as described the seller has no chance and ebay will force a return/refund.
My brother has already used the money for new trainers 🙄
The console went for £230 and tbh she hasn't got the money to refund and she never claimed to have the inner packaging, but she did send it in the main box it came with.
He also claimed she put extra materials inside the box which he didn't want, which is basically all the leads folded into a sainsburys carrier bag.
It seems hes clutching at straws.
I have told her about the checking security markings and such but she just wants to know is a refund realistically the only outcome?

MikeUniformMike Fri 12-Jul-19 11:39:42

Ultimately, yes. Ebay usually sides with the buyer.
You'll be lucky if you get the item back in the condition it was sent.
Do everything through Ebay. Do not e-mail or contact the buyer directly.

19lottie82 Fri 12-Jul-19 11:57:40

While I understand your frustration, Unfortunately it sounds like the buyer has purchased this as a collectors item so not having part of the packaging will devalue the bundle.

It may be worth offering the buyer a partial refund.

19lottie82 Fri 12-Jul-19 11:58:37

PS yes, eBay will force a refund if it comes to it , hence my suggestion above about offering a partial refund.

MikeUniformMike Fri 12-Jul-19 12:08:50

I didn't think of a partial refund but 19lottie82 seems an excellent idea.
Good luck OP and thanks lottie.

TeacupDrama Fri 12-Jul-19 12:08:53

just accept a return quickly then she can relist it he is being a pain but I sell on ebay the quicker you accept the return the better buy the offered ebay return label as it then has inbuilt tracking
a partial refund of a few pounds ( ie what it would cost to send back) can be offered if he refuses just ask for a return special delivery is about £8.50 so offer that as a partial refund otherwise if he asks for more just say you would prefer the item back if he asks for £30 just say " it would just be better if you returned for a full refund I will refund within 2 days of getting it back complete"
it is missing the piece so there is absolutely no way that ebay will find in your favour and you have to refund within 2 days of receipt then your mum can relistjust adding this is complete with original outer box but one of the inner divisions is missing someone that wants a wii but who is not a collector won't care
it is the same with most things a lego set with all pieces is worth £x with even 2 little pieces missing is probably worth £10-20 less

MsHopey Fri 12-Jul-19 13:24:05

Thanks everyone.
It's the news I was expecting but not what she'll be hoping for.
I dont sell on there anymore because it was more hassle than it was worth.

19lottie82 Fri 12-Jul-19 13:58:12

You'll be lucky if you get the item back in
the condition it was sent.

This seems very dramatic.

I’ve been selling on eBay for 15 years ish (both as a private and business seller) and I’ve only had this happen to me twice.

MikeUniformMike Fri 12-Jul-19 14:07:20

I've only had a couple of things returned. They were fairly low value and not breakable and were as sent. I've read horror stories on here of some CFs returning stuff damaged or returning something else.

More recently I've had winning bidders not paying.

Buying, I've had a new item that was not the fabric described in the listing. Ebay refunded me, and I got to keep the item - not much use as there is no way I'd wear it, and I've had something in denim that was much more faded than in the listing. I should have returned it but couldn't be bothered.

OneInEight Sat 13-Jul-19 07:44:33

Whilst collector's like pristine items I wonder whether the price reflected this or whether he paid the going rate for an unboxed item. I think this would affect my judgment as to whether he was trying his luck or whether he really had higher expectations.

If the money had not already been spent then I would ask for the item to be returned and give a full refund. However, as the money has been spent then I would try offering a partial refund with gritted teeth and allow the buyer to keep the item. The amount I would offer would depend on how much over the odds he has paid because the item was sold with original box.

MsHopey Sat 13-Jul-19 08:16:53

The item was a £50 starting bid, and he paid £230.
Which is what I also consider over the odds as it was £250.
But was stated it was used.
I think he probably has realised hes overpaid, but as it was WAY over the starting bid it is what he chose to pay that amount. I think its buyers remorse but is a crap situation.
I've never returned anything off Ebay, too much hassle, but I havent spent £230 for a several years old, used games console either 🤷🏻‍♀️

MsHopey Sat 13-Jul-19 08:17:23

*£250 new a few years ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »