Talk

Advanced search

What’s fair here?

(16 Posts)
Thenthatsthatthen Sat 06-Jul-19 18:36:42

I brought a watch of eBay. Condition described as ‘used’.it has arrived not working. I assume the battery has stopped working but won’t have time to take it to a shop until end of next week.

Messaged seller saying it doesn’t work and their claiming the fact it was described as used means I shouldn’t have expected a working battery and that I got a good deal on the watch (true) so should be happy. The sellers offering £8 as that what it costs to get a watch fixed around there way. I’ve had watches fixed before and the cheapest I can get it in my local town is £15 so that’s what I’m asking for. Apparently I’m being very unfair and she still needs to profit on the watch and £8 is the best she can do. What’s fair here-should I just accept I got a good deal and take the £8 as it’s better than nothing?

Soubriquet Sat 06-Jul-19 18:39:43

Take the £8

It’s not a huge different from £15. Not like it’s £30

And a used watch...it would be nice to have a working battery but I wouldn’t expect to have one either

NamelessGem Sat 06-Jul-19 18:58:42

I would expect a working battery unless stated otherwise ? Used means a few stratches here or there - a used condition. Aka - it’s not pristine!

Used doesnt mean - used until it doesn’t work.

That said - I would take the £8. It’ll go towards a new battery, and buying used you wouldn’t have expected a brand new battery. So it seems fairer.

Still, I sympathise OP. It is annoying when sellers aren’t completely honest with their ads !

19lottie82 Sat 06-Jul-19 19:18:13

I would push for the £15. You paid for a working watch, she misdescribed it. Her need to make a profit isn’t your problem.

MummytoCSJH Sat 06-Jul-19 19:24:52

I'd push for 15 and take it to ebay if necessary (they may end up refunding you totally if she has been awkward). She should have listed the watch as it is and for what it's really worth. Wanting to make profit on a used, non working item and literally saying that to the buyer? CF.

thesnapandfartisinfallible Sat 06-Jul-19 19:27:04

You can get watch batteries in Poundland for Christ's sake. It doesn't need fixing. Do you take your tv remote to be fixed when it runs out or do you just buy a new battery?

Thenthatsthatthen Sat 06-Jul-19 20:15:20

It’s more the fact I wouldn’t have brought the watch had I known the battery wasn’t working. I work such awkward hours getting to town whilst shops are open is a pain. But I see how ‘used’ could mean battery needs replacing as it’s not technically broken. I just feel it should be mentioned separately.

The watch is waterproof and from what I gather needs to be pressure tested when the battery is changed so doing it myself isn’t an option.

19lottie82 Sat 06-Jul-19 22:39:05

You can get watch batteries in Poundland for Christ's sake. It doesn't need fixing.

You can’t change the battery yourself in most watches. hmm

thesnapandfartisinfallible Sun 07-Jul-19 17:36:37

Of course you can hmm
The tool to open and reseal them is about £4 on EBay or the like. It's hardly rocket science. The day I pay someone to change a battery for me is the day I go to my old school and ask for a refund.

19lottie82 Sun 07-Jul-19 18:57:02

I wouldn’t risk it. I’d always pay a professional to change the battery. And I don’t think I’d be putting a Poundland battery in a decent watch either!

thesnapandfartisinfallible Sun 07-Jul-19 21:34:21

They're exactly the same batteries! Even the same make. But hey if people want to throw away their money, go for it!

ineedtostopbeingsolazy Mon 08-Jul-19 01:38:35

You can change it yourself. I have a Swiss watch make and it has to be sent away for the battery to be changed it costs £30 or £60 if I want it water sealed. After paying £30 a few times my dh looked at what batteries it needs bought some off amazon and changed it it works perfectly. It's an expensive watch but when he bought it for me the jewellers changed the batteries themselves now they're not allowed to apparently.

JudgeFlounceRedRugBlah Mon 08-Jul-19 01:42:08

You have no certainty that changing the battery will make it work. So you don't actually know you have a working watch at this stage. I'd be careful about accepting partial refunds until you're sure it will fix the issue.

ineedtostopbeingsolazy Mon 08-Jul-19 01:52:23

That's a good point you don't know if the issue is the battery.
Tbh I'd open a not as described case and send it back you don't have to message the seller any more just open the case, use the eBay label which the seller pays for. It said it was used you didn't expect it to not be working.

RedWineAllMine Mon 08-Jul-19 15:36:47

If you want the full £15.00 and won't settle on £8 (Which you are completely with in your rights to do) then I would open a item not as described case and return the item. Watch was described as used, no mention of dead battery etc. Item was falsely described.

RedWineAllMine Mon 08-Jul-19 15:40:36

I've Just read further messages, I agree you don't know if it's the battery that is the issue. Don't potentially waste any of your money on it, as it might not fix the issue. Just open a case, no need to message the seller. If she gets shirty with you then just ignore. She shouldn't have misdescribed the watch. I have a feeling she won't accept the return, which is win win for you as you will automatically win and will get a full refund. If she accepts the return you will also get your money back, so either way you can't loose really,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »