Advanced search

Best Offer accepted and then didn't pay - he doesn't want item any more...

(8 Posts)
WaxOnFeckOff Thu 20-Jun-19 23:25:26

Not really sure what I'm doing here.

I listed an item on buy it now/best offer a couple weeks ago, not much interest but got a best offer on Sunday evening, I only saw it a couple of hours later and then accepted it. No payment came through. I gave it a couple of days and resent invoice advising that I am going on holiday this weekend so would need to post by Friday or they'll have to wait. No response. Send a message to them today reminding that I'm going away and need payment by 4pm Friday or it'll need to be after I'm back. I'd looked at recording an unpaid item but it tells me I can't do this until 17th July?

So, buyer has now responded they've replied saying i took too long to confirm offer was accepted so so they bought a different item and now don't want mine.

I've replied saying that's not really the way it works but if ebay will refund any sellers fees etc and relist then I will cancel the transaction. When I listed I got £1 listing and selling fee so really still want to keep that deal.

However, I can't see any way to do this without an unpaid item case being opened but i'm not really sure why this has to wait until July?

Any ideas?

RedWineAllMine Fri 21-Jun-19 10:59:05

You can either cancel the sale yourself (the option is on the listing that you sold, it's a little drop down menu) Or you can open an unpaid item case. You can open an unpaid item case now, you don't need to wait.
However, you can't force a seller to buy something that they don't want to buy anymore. He has told you he doesn't want it. Cases are normally opened if there is no response from the buyer.
I'd just cancel the sale yourself on the drop down menu to avoid any negative feedback which Ebay aren't guaranteed to remove. You will get your fees etc back. Hope this helps.

RedWineAllMine Fri 21-Jun-19 11:00:50

I got a notification today that £1 selling fees are active from today again, for 4 days.
So just cancel and relist this weekend to keep the deal.

RedWineAllMine Fri 21-Jun-19 11:02:01

Edit: In my first post I wrote seller, I meant buyer tho. I know you're the seller.

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 21-Jun-19 12:41:51

Thanks, that makes sense. I don't want to force him to buy it, I'm just a bit hacked off that it seems to be my fault that he changed his mind. I've been hanging off posting other stuff (not ebay sales) so I could do it all in one go because he's not responded until now. I go on holiday at the weekend so if I list again now I run the risk of it selling while I'm away I suppose. Strangely it wasn't allowing me to open an unpaid item case. It just said I could do this after 17th July. Not really sure why that is.

RedWineAllMine Fri 21-Jun-19 17:05:33

Hmmm I'm not sure why either. That's very odd as that's ages away!
I know it's crap - buyers backing out, but it happens unfortunately. Although not often. And we are expected as sellers to accommodate for that.
I'm not sure what to do about your listings, as the max auction time is 10 days isn't it.

19lottie82 Fri 21-Jun-19 17:28:27

The thing with submitting a best offer is, a lot of buyers don’t realise it’s binding if the seller accepts. Even though I’m pretty sure it states this when they bid, but you know what they say “never underestimate the stupidity of the general public”!

You should be able to open an unpaid item case within a couple of days. 17th of July definitely isn’t right, are you sure it didn’t say you have UNTIL the 17th July to open a case?

TBH the easiest option in this case is just cancel it yourself, but make sure you click the “issue with the buyers address”. That was it will be cancelled immediately, you won’t get a defect and you don’t have to wait for the buyer to accept the cancellation. In theory the buyer could complain but i doubt they will in this scenario.

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 21-Jun-19 17:41:30

Thanks again redwine. Busy trying to get organised for holiday and now have post office to go to tomorrow am when I could have been there on Monday! I'll have a proper look at my options for relisting when I get a chance to focus properly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »