Talk

Advanced search

Ebay conundrum

(6 Posts)
Beekeeper1 Thu 20-Jun-19 22:57:53

Good evening all

I would just like to preface this by saying that this is not an earth shattering problem and is fairly lighthearted, but I have a conundrum, a puzzle, a mystery, if you will and, motivated by curiosity, am asking for thoughts, conspiracy theories or the like.

I have something listed on ebay, of little intrinsic financial value, but which may be of some use to someone somewhere for something and I need it gone since it is cluttering up my garden...oh, go on then, it is hardcore.....brick rubble, broken tiles and small lumps of concrete. To take it to the tip, in bags, in my car, a bit at a time will cost a fortune since there is a charge for building rubble. I am too tight to pay for even a mini skip, since there is only a small volume - a large pickup or small transit lorry load. Besides, I don't like the thought of it going to landfill if someone can make use of it eg as a sub base for a concrete panel or similar. The nominal value of it is incidental. However, I digress....

It has been listed for several weeks now. The conundrum? Well, three times, in as many weeks, it has 'sold' for the full asking price ( 1p, yes, that's right, one whole penny!), to three distinct and seperate buyers, all of whom have paid by paypal. After contacting each buyer to arrange a mutually convenient time for them to come and collect I have been informed that for one reason or another they cannot collect. Each time I have cancelled the transaction, made a FULL refund and relisted. Today's buyer told me she could not collect as she is about to go away on holiday for the whole summer!!
Buyer no1 lives in Essex, buyer no2 lives in Leeds and todays buyer in London - I am in the deepest, darkest West Country, hundreds of miles away! My listing clearly states collection only and gives a close indication of my location by partial postcode. With me so far....?

1. Is some sort of fiddle going on which I cannot fathom?

2. Are people just stupid and do not read the listing properly?

3. Have I offended someone who is seeking revenge by getting friends around the country to bugger me about? Unlikely, I am a harmless, inoffensive chap really and doubt that I have upset anyone to the extent that they would do this to spite me!

4. Is it just pure coincidence that, after 15 years of an ebay account and hundreds of relatively trouble free transactions, this one is doomed because of flaky, unreliable buyers? Am I destined, like the Ancient Mariner and his albatross to have this hanging round my neck for eternity?

Thoughts, ideas and rational explanations on a postcard please....

The most original answer wins...

A FREE LOAD OF HARDCORE

Wedchick Thu 20-Jun-19 23:48:07

Put the actual name of the suburb of pickup in the description, I would say location is the issue

Smellbowpenisbeaker Thu 20-Jun-19 23:50:35

I wouldn’t put it past a lot of people to just knee-jerk buy anything that comes up as costing a penny and then consider later whether they actually want it. People are quite stupid.

delilahbucket Fri 21-Jun-19 10:12:36

People don't read anything on listings. As a business seller on there it infuriates me. I deal with at least three "when will I receive my item" messages every day. They are told in two places before purchasing and twice after purchasing, a delivery date.
I keep descriptions as short as possible and they are displayed in an easy to read manner. People still come back to me with questions after purchasing. My reply usually starts with "as per the item description..." The answer is usually contained within the first sentence. People who ask stupid questions before purchasing just get blocked now. That and people who ask for discount.
In your position OP, I would be sticking the item you want to give away on Facebook or Freecycle.

AnnieOH1 Fri 21-Jun-19 10:21:53

I wouldn't bother with eBay. Put it on Schpock, Freecycle, Preloved, Facebook. Name your suburb and make clear it is collection only.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Fri 21-Jun-19 10:25:36

I wouldn't have bothered with Ebay just stick an add on Gumtree, Shpock or Facebook market place asking someone to come and collect it.

If you don't want anything for it then using a free listing site will most likely get someone to come and collect it before the day is over.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »