Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

CHEEKY EBAYERS!!!

(7 Posts)
loopyredangel Mon 23-Jul-07 11:55:47

How do people think they can get away with charging more for an item than the actual store does? Just been on ebay to look for an Ikea tree, only to find they were charging £4.99 (starting bid!) plus p&p, when in Ikea they only charge £3.49!!!! Cheeky ebayers!

preggersagain Mon 23-Jul-07 11:57:46

ahh but the reason is that us poor souls with no ikea anywhere near will pay a little extra if it something we desperatly need! ie i bought a bed canopy for ds1 forgetting that ds2 would be needeing one when he moved into a bed and i wanted matching ones so i got it from an ebayer at a slightly higher price!

NorbertStanleyFletcher Mon 23-Jul-07 11:57:57

Ah - but they do get away with it. Because people think it is a bargain because it is on Ebay, and they don't bother to check.

charliecat Mon 23-Jul-07 12:00:40

Some people cant get to an ikea, and do you think ikea brought it for 3.49 to sell at 3.49? Its the way it goes...

fedupwasherwoman Mon 23-Jul-07 12:06:26

I live over an hour from my nearest IKEA.

I take into account the time, hassle (see recent thread over IKEA trip trauma) and cost of petrol if I'm looking for an IKEA item on ebay.

sixlostmonkeys Mon 23-Jul-07 13:05:56

this is common with ikea stuff. Even if they start an auction very cheap you may find the bidding may exceeds the price at ikea.
Some people can't get to ikea (or it would cost a fortune in travel to do so) some people hate going to ikea and would rather pay over the odds to have an item delivered to their door.

Other stuff sells for more than it does in the shops - Harry Potter Book at the mo - maybe some people can't get to tesco/asda etc, maybe they don't want to, maybe they like having stuff delivered to their door?

Whatever the reason, you've just stumbled upon a business opportunity

treacletart Mon 23-Jul-07 18:01:30

Primark stuff goes for a bomb - I regularly spot £10 frocks going for £40+.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now