Talk

Advanced search

Been scammed (via fake "not as described") on eBay - want to cry

(55 Posts)
ConfessionsOfTeenageDramaQueen Sat 18-May-19 15:33:31

I've had a really good run so it was only fair I'd get a scammer.

I don't accept returns. Clearly stated in the listing. Having receive the item he has decided he spent too much (he literally said that in his messages) so has opened a "not as described". eBay have sided with him despite my repeated calls to them pointing out his "complaint" actually matches the description, as do his pictures.

I am so so so so angry I literally want to cry.

I have lost out on postage and because of a fuck up with a return address I now need to pay out of pocket for the return too.

I fully plan on getting revenge by:

a) Buying one of the items he is currently selling and doing exactly the same to him

and

b) Telling him I plan to inform his employer - a financial company (which is where his listed address is) - that they are hiring a scammer.

I think the way eBay lets scammers operate is an absolute disgrace.

ConfessionsOfTeenageDramaQueen Sat 18-May-19 15:34:53

And yes he might well return the item in good condition - or alternatively he went clubbing in it (it's a t-shirt) and now is going to get a full refund.

Either way I've still lost out on two lots of postage.

What's worse is the idiot I spoke to at eBay kept telling me the buyer paid for the postage - yes you bint but after you refund him I'm not getting my money back from the post office am I...

ZeroFuchsGiven Sat 18-May-19 15:35:52

YABTU.

you want to scam him and get in touch with his work? Give your head a wobble.

ConfessionsOfTeenageDramaQueen Sat 18-May-19 15:37:38

You don't think it's concerning a scammer is working at a financial company?

ConfessionsOfTeenageDramaQueen Sat 18-May-19 15:38:21

And re: doing it back to him... well eBay don't think it's a scam so clearly it's totally fine for buyers to do that?

ZeroFuchsGiven Sat 18-May-19 15:39:39

Someone wants to return an item that they feel is not as described. That is not a crime!

PCohle Sat 18-May-19 15:40:22

I think you're maybe letting this get to you a bit too much.

PreseaCombatir Sat 18-May-19 15:42:58

You want to get him fucking sacked, because he disputed an item on eBay?
Fucking hell!
Sort yourself out, and start to operate a reasonable returns policy.

Trying to get someone sacked for a T-shirt! Fucking hell! Maybe he thought the quality was shit compared to the photo!

ZeroFuchsGiven Sat 18-May-19 15:45:37

BTW

I don't accept returns. Clearly stated in the listing

You can not do that btw. You can state it in the listing but you can not refuse returns.

feelingsinister Sat 18-May-19 15:45:57

It's a t-shirt. It's annoying when people dick you about but you really need to get a grip.

This is the risk you take when selling on eBay especially if you refuse to accept returns. That means if people change their minds they have to lie to get a return accepted.

Motherbrownskneesup Sat 18-May-19 15:50:51

I really wouldn't deliberately sabotage his listing in retaliation if you want to continue selling on Ebay.

ConfessionsOfTeenageDramaQueen Sat 18-May-19 16:08:50

I'm not sure why people think you're not allowed to state "no returns" - it literally asks you when you list an item whether or not you accept returns. I don't (neither does he on his listings). To get around it he lied that the item didn't match the description and eBay automatically found in his favour.

Outside of eBay, FYI, returns are not guaranteed in law at all.

Generous returns policies by big department stores have completely confused people over this issue. No one is obligated to accept returns except where:

a) You have been told in advance returns are accepted (and therefore it's part of the T&Cs of sale)

b) There is an issue with the product (in which case it's not a return policy it's a breach of contract). And as I'm a private individual - not a shop - who is selling a second hand item, proving the item was not as described would be a huge hurdle for any buyer to prove - especially as in this case his "complaint" (that the item's been worn) is literally in the description.

Not sure why people are more angry at me, the person being scammed, than the scammer? Even if you may not support the idea of revenge (fair enough) I have literally done nothing wrong and by the end of this will be down a tenner.

PCohle Sat 18-May-19 16:12:59

Your user name is very appropriate OP.

Pengrin Sat 18-May-19 16:14:54

*Fucking hell!
Sort yourself out*

Seconded.

Babysharkdododont Sat 18-May-19 16:16:32

OP, kindly, perhaps Ebay selling is not for you!

Mymadworld Sat 18-May-19 16:21:25

I have been in your buyer's position where I requested a refund (from a seller who stated no refunds) as an item was not as described. The messages I got were hilarious as the item was without question different (inferior) to the description but the seller was adamant I was trying it on and outraged when eBay found in my favour! I reckon you were the seller

Awittyusernamehere Sat 18-May-19 16:21:43

Totally with you op. Buyers get away with far too much on eBay and eBay always sides with them. People are so cheeky and entitled. Go for it and do the same to him, he obviously thinks it’s acceptable. I don’t think I’d tell his employer though, I’d just try to be a nuisance to him.

dementedpixie Sat 18-May-19 16:22:44

Online returns should be accepted as they would be covered by the Distance Selling Regulations. It is different if you bought in store as you would have seen the goods in person:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5tzLGdyC8FpBvKSr1GS4WLy/distance-selling-regulations

ZeroFuchsGiven Sat 18-May-19 16:25:52

ConfessionsOfTeenageDramaQueen

As an eBay business seller with over 50k 100% positive feedback I am fully aware how eBay and their returns system works. You can not refuse a return if the item is damaged or not as described as eBay will Always overrule you, it does not matter if you are a private seller and stated 'no returns' There is the eBay money back guarantee which protects buyers.

Sending an item back because it is not as described is not a scam, it is the buyers right.

19lottie82 Sat 18-May-19 16:40:43

You don't think it's concerning a scammer is working at a financial company?

Not due to your description, no.

It seriously sounds like you need to calm down OP. I don’t think eBay selling is for you.

tenbob Sat 18-May-19 16:44:05

But it’s a second hand item, so even if he has worn it clubbing, you wash it and relist it

Why the drama? The postage is what, a few quid? Not worth getting anyone sacked over and not worth you expending this much emotional energy over

PCohle Sat 18-May-19 16:48:15

Also it sounds like the fuck up with the return address was your fault? So part of the additional costs you face are your own fault?

mrsjackrussell Sat 18-May-19 16:53:03

You get this sometimes on ebay. Iv returned stuff that I felt wasn't as described.
Iv also sold something the buyer said wasn't as described but it was. She was v nasty over it and gave me negative feedback. EBay ruled in my favour which I was surprised at tbh as I always thought they sided with buyers. They also removed the negative feedback.
I would just let it go if I were you especially if they've ruled in his favour. It's not worth getting stressed over and certainly not worth reporting to his company .

YourSarcasmIsDripping Sat 18-May-19 16:54:25

How did he scam you though?

What has he gained? Unless he needed that tshirt for a one off event only,wore it and sent it back.

detachablehoof Sat 18-May-19 17:01:42

I had this happen to me OP and I sympathise with you. I was so angry / upset that I was taken advantage of. The buyer said that the jacket wasn't as described as it smelt damp. It was returned to me reeking of takeaway and had obviously been worn. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do as eBay prioritises buyer protection. I did report the buyer to eBay afterwards. If they are a serial abuser they might get their account closed if you report them.

Ignore the harsh replies smile but it's probably not a good idea to do revenge scam!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »