Talk

Advanced search

Item received is damaged what to do next?

(8 Posts)
bronzesilvergold Sat 11-May-19 15:58:18

Wondering if anyone who has more experience of using eBay can help.

I've recently bid on and won a lovely coat the item was described as used. There was a slight mark on the arm so I messaged the seller to check if it was a rip/mark or just the photo. They said no mark or tear so I decided to bid based on that.

I have now received the item and have noticed one of the pockets has come away all along the outer seam and been repaired with bright red thread quite poorly (the coat is black)
I've run it through the washing machine and the red stitching has started to come apart.

I've checked the picture closely and it does appear the pocket is possibly either not attached completely at the seam or they had repaired it but is very hard to notice as the photo is a front view so the red stitching is hidden, from the side in person it is quite obvious.

The seller didn't mention this in the description or when I asked about the other possible mark.

I paid around £30 plus £5 p&p. I wanted it to replace my coat that ripped recently. I don't often buy myself things and I feel a bit down I thought I was getting something nice and now I have to repair it or mess around complaining which I hate doing.

I do really like the item and can repair it with black thread but I feel I would not have paid as much had I known it was damaged.

I'm not sure if I have a right to complain or how to go about it?
Thank you if you read all that!
Any advice appreciated

CarolsBiggestFan Sat 11-May-19 16:01:01

I would certainly raise an “item not as described” thingy with eBay, so that no matter what you decide to do after that, you’ve registered that it’s damaged as soon as you’ve received it.

Would you consider getting a quote from a seamstress for repair and asking the seller to refund that amount?

CointreauVersial Sat 11-May-19 16:04:52

Send a couple of photos of the damage to the seller, and say that you'd like to keep the item, but have to pay to have it mended, and would they be prepared to refund you (say) £5. Giving a partial refund is straightforward, and is easier for the seller than accepting a return. I've done this myself when I sold something and failed to spot some damage.

EBay will be on your side, as the item is not as described, so don't be afraid to speak up.

CointreauVersial Sat 11-May-19 16:05:59

Repairing a seam is pretty straightforward, though (as long as you use black thread!).

bronzesilvergold Sun 12-May-19 18:13:17

Thank you for all the very helpful replies.
I've messaged the seller requesting a partial refund so hopefully I hear something back soon.

Kerfuffled Mon 13-May-19 23:33:22

If you do decide to return it make sure you open a case no matter how nice the seller appears! I recently returned a holed top which the seller refunded but then refused to refund my return postage and then suggested I had holed it deliberately. Thankfully Ebay intervened.

RoseMartha Tue 14-May-19 06:54:17

Oh good to hear you have messaged seller because even if it says no returns the item was not as described and I have found the seller usually will refund you in that instance, without taking the matter further. (I have messaged sellers twice about that and twice for items not arriving).

RoseMartha Tue 14-May-19 06:55:28

I hasten to add that the above contacting sellers has been in ten year period.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »