Talk

Advanced search

Buyer doesnt want me to send signed for..

(41 Posts)
neveradullmoment99 Mon 06-May-19 22:36:27

Sold an item. Buyer wants me to send it ordinary 1st class. I always send it signed for to ensure parcel is delivered. She says that ordinary 1st class can be tracked. Me thinks not. Am i wrong? What should i do? Send and take the chance? Or stick to my guns?

Shylo Mon 06-May-19 22:37:52

Stick to your guns, you can track first class but it only tells you it is delivered, there is no signed proof

neveradullmoment99 Mon 06-May-19 22:38:02

Oh she is worried incase she is not in to sign for it but surely if she is not in, she cant take receipt of it anyway? Am i missing something?

neveradullmoment99 Mon 06-May-19 22:39:49

Thanks. I dont think she is trying to pull a fast one but you never know! She might be out to claim that she didnt receive it and then be compensated leaving me without any chance of claiming the money back.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 06-May-19 22:41:01

I said i would check with the post office but im going to just send it first class signed for. What a bloody pain.

TheFlis12345 Mon 06-May-19 22:41:11

How much is the item worth? Proof of posting covers you for up to £20 value with normally postage if needed.

makingmiracles Mon 06-May-19 22:41:24

Id stick to your guns and send signed for, I have a general rule of anything under £10 I’ll send normal post, anything over that and I send signed for, if the buyer scams and says it’s not arrived or Rm lose it, well it’s under a tenner I’ll lose by refunding, otherwise when signed for at least I’ll know I’ll get the money back if RM lose it and the buyer has no chance of scamming if RM say it’s been signed for by them at their address!

Backinthebox Mon 06-May-19 22:42:11

I live a 1hr 45min round trip from our local sorting office. Irritates the hell out of me if I am left a card to go and collect something from there instead of having it left in a safe place. The sorting office is not on a route that I would take for any other reason and is always a trip out of my way. I live very rurally and know my postman. He knows where on my property he can leave things where they will be safe till I get home, but he is not allowed to if the sender insists on a signature.

DropZoneOne Mon 06-May-19 22:43:06

Stick to your guns! I didn't bother with signed for previously, sent out 20 parcels last August, all with postage bought online which includes a traceable code. The most expensive didn't arrive, despite the RM online tracking showing it as delivered to the postcode. But without signed for, Ebay found in favour of the buyer and i was £25 down.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 06-May-19 22:45:14

No normal first class isn’t tracked. Her issue might be that if she isn’t in then a normal parcel could be left outside or in her safe place etc but a signed for parcel can’t be left and so she’ll have to go to the PO to collect it. Irritating if (like me) you live a twenty mile round trip away. If you get proof of postage you have cover if it goes missing/gets damaged even with normal first class btw.

EmmaC78 Mon 06-May-19 22:45:30

I would find it annoying too. I am out all day and it is hassle to go to the sorting office so unless it is valuable I just want things sent ordinary post.

DropZoneOne Mon 06-May-19 22:45:56

Oh and online postage doesn't count as proof of posting, when trying to claim back from RM.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 06-May-19 22:47:04

Its £25.00. Not ridiculous but it would piss me off. I never send anything ordinary. I am going to send it first class signed for with an apology. I dont think ebay or paypal would give me anything back if i dont have tracked.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 06-May-19 22:48:27

Or am i being unreasonable to send it that way?

neveradullmoment99 Mon 06-May-19 22:49:50

But without signed for, Ebay found in favour of the buyer and i was £25 down

Exactly the point i am making.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Tue 07-May-19 06:55:42

I dont think ebay or paypal would give me anything back if i dont have tracked
But it’s not eBay or Paypal that refunds you anyway, it’s Royal Mail. If it goes missing/damaged you (or eBay) refund the buyer then you use your receipt for proof of postage to claim your money back from RM. You can do this regardless of it being normal 1st class as long as you get a receipt from the PO when you sent it. Having said that I agree if you have listed your item stating recorded mail, and the buyer bought it anyway, then you just say, sorry I only send recorded.

RedWineAllMine Tue 07-May-19 08:21:12

Just send it signed for, if that was the postage service on the listing, then she bought the item with those postage terms, signed for. Also it puts your mind at rest. Not your problem if she's not in, you can't monitor when people will be in for parcel delivery.
If it's a parcel and doesn't fit as large letter it comes with a free tracking reference code. I recently won a case when a buyer claimed non delivery, the trackable reference code said delivered. I do know Ebay never used to accept the free trackable reference code as delivery, but they do now, as I spoke to Ebay on the phone about it.

ilovecherries Tue 07-May-19 15:15:10

I always do signed for now, I went through a rash of apparent 'not delivered' items, and I'm just not prepared to take that hit any more, I'm not a business, I'm just selling a few clothes that I no longer wear. For the same reason I won't combine items that come to more than £50, as that is what RM insures a signed for parcel for. I'm upfront about it, if people don't like it, they don't have to bid.

19lottie82 Tue 07-May-19 17:32:59

If it’s a small or medium parcel then you don’t need to send signed for to get a proof of delivery. There is a reference number on the proof of postage that when entered online, will tell you if the package has been delivered or not. If it shows as delivered, this will be enough to win a non receipt dispute.

If you do send signed for, and the buyer lives ages away from the depot then you run the risk of them not going to get it then you will have to refund if they open a not received case.

I’d do as they ask.

notatwork Tue 07-May-19 17:35:55

You can have tracked but not signed for. Then you get a proof of delivery and she gets her parcel without needing a signature.

BogglesGoggles Tue 07-May-19 17:37:10

They often don’t acfually bother with a signature. I got a signed for parcel today (eBay coincidentally) but sign I did not.

shatteredandstressed Tue 07-May-19 17:55:41

@BogglesGoggles, the delivery driver is at fault there. There would be nothing to stop you claiming it never arrived, getting a full refund and keeping your parcel now.

OnTheEdgeOfTheNight Tue 07-May-19 18:01:24

I'd offer to refund or send it signed for. If you send it signed for and no one's at home to receive it, you have the risk that it's not collected from the sorting office for whatever reason, and is returned to you. Then you'll have to refund and you'll have paid the postage.
It could be that the sorting office is inconvenient, or the buyer is working away from home or any other reason.

neveradullmoment99 Tue 07-May-19 18:08:38

I dont think ebay or paypal would give me anything back if i dont have tracked
But it’s not eBay or Paypal that refunds you anyway, it’s Royal Mail.

Yes but what im referring to is more the buyer saying they didn't receive it when they have.
Im still really unsure what to do for the best. I will probably ask the PO!
If an ordinary item can say its been delivered then maybe i should just do that?

neveradullmoment99 Tue 07-May-19 18:09:06

Thank @cherries. It clearly states signed for on the listing. It is always what i send it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »