Talk

Advanced search

Scammed by Chinese seller.....return item to Hong Kong

(13 Posts)
Gingerkittykat Mon 06-May-19 18:35:21

In January I bought a desk chair from Ebay, from what looked like a UK seller which said it was dispached from London.

Item arrived, I built it and realised it was completely different dimensions to described. I used it anyway for a couple of days and it broke.

I opened a claim with Paypal, sending photos. The seller never responded. Because I paid by Paypal credit it took until a week ago (despite phone calls) to settle claim in my favour and I was told to return the item but to Hong Kong. The sellers name on Ebay is fantastic-flower but on Paypal they show up as LIZHANG.

I looked up shipping on Royal Mail, to send a 10kg parcel back (not that I could dismantle the chair) would cost at least £45, Paypal would refund up to £15. In other words I would end up getting around £15 back for a chair which cost £43.99.

It looks like I have been scammed. A chinese seller pretending to be in the UK can just ignore complaints and then make it too difficult to return the item so they get to keep their money.

I phoned Ebay and there is nothing they will now do since item was bought in Jan. I asked if items have any kind of guarantee but they said no, so even if your item breaks after 28 days you are screwed.

I have used Ebay for years, frequently buy, used to sell and it looks like it is a scammers paradise now.

SmellsLikeAdultSpirit Mon 06-May-19 18:37:24

I had similar and paypal got me some compensation. I didn't get all my money back but over half if I remember correctly
Or credit card if that is linked to your PayPal?

Gingerkittykat Mon 06-May-19 18:38:19

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183526208722

Item link, I don't know if you can see it since it was logged into my account. The item now says This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing. They were selling multiples.

Gingerkittykat Mon 06-May-19 18:38:59

It's not a credit card, it's a Paypal Credit Account.

BlankTimes Mon 06-May-19 18:43:59

Look at another item fantastic-flower is selling, scroll down to see sellers details.
If it has a UK address, return the chair there.

If it has not got a UK address, alert ebay because they are claiming to sell from the UK.

Gingerkittykat Mon 06-May-19 18:56:37

When you click it says based in China, however item location is stated as UK.

www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fantastic-flower?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

This is their profile, no longer selling furniture just load of small items and satill saying item location is London.

19lottie82 Tue 07-May-19 17:36:11

Phone PayPal again and explain that the postage would cost more than the chair. They might refund you anyway.

BUT it’s important to remember that when you buy an item covered by PayPal / eBay, it is NOT a guarantee. You are covered that the item will be as described when delivered, which the item was (not that it won’t break further down the line)

Varnas Tue 07-May-19 21:18:02

This happened twice to me, I've got the refund and never bothered to sent the item back 😊 The seller didn't really care as I did not leave a negative feedback.

MrsRubyMonday Tue 07-May-19 22:09:00

We have a friend in customs enforcement who told us when something similar happened that the Chinese manufacturers have warehouses in this country with massive amounts of stock, all for 'personal use'. It's a massive problem for them apparently. So they likely shipped from the UK, but are requesting you return abroad to put you off, which is how they can say they are UK based. They will be able to show where they shipped from, so you're unlikely to get a complaint upheld, although it's worth trying.

NamelessGem Tue 07-May-19 22:13:30

Send something small back to the address provided, and send it tracked.
Put the tracking in the request and you should receive your refund.

Not particularly honest, but needs must

ineedtostopbeingsolazy Fri 07-Jun-19 20:21:56

Why didn't you open an eBay case? They would have provided you with a return label which would have had the buyers address on it.
For NAD and faulty the seller pays.

ineedtostopbeingsolazy Fri 07-Jun-19 20:25:24

BUT it’s important to remember that when you buy an item covered by PayPal / eBay, it is NOT a guarantee. You are covered that the item will be as described when delivered, which the item was (not that it won’t break further down the line)

eBay has a 30 day money back guarantee. If an item becomes faulty in this time if a case is opened the buyer will get a refund.
Generally the item need to be returned unless the seller chooses to just refund. If what was stated was a UK seller expects the item to be returned to China then eBay should sort it out.

wowfudge Sat 15-Jun-19 09:33:56

Not only did the original listing state it was UK stock, the seller gives their location as Hong Kong but in the legal info it's a Shanghai address! Definitely ring eBay as the listing is deliberately misleading at worst or confused at best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »