Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

V dodgy email...what do I do?

(7 Posts)
zephyrcat Fri 13-Jul-07 12:25:49

I've just had this email in my junk folder. I haven't had an ebay account for ages - that I've used anyhow. Do I need to report it to ebay - is there a special address to forward it to? Should I be worried or just ignore it?

Response to Question about Item -- Respond Now

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member through My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address.

Response from dbtdcsmamo
dbtdcsmamo( 496)
Positive feedback: 99.6%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: Angel Wagon Planter (250140102131)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
dbtdcsmamo is the seller.

Contact me asap someone's trying to pay for an item of mine with your paypal account/credit card.
I don't think it's you because they are avoiding contact through your eBay
account saying that they cannot access it.
This means that they somehow have your paypal or credit card details but they
don't seem to have access to your eBay account.
Contact me through eBay using the respond now so I can give you more details ... if you can't use respond now email me at dbtdcsm007@yahoo.com.

Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

clutteredup Fri 13-Jul-07 12:28:46

I should contact paypal and ebay - i know ebay has an area for this. If you don't have a paypal account I shouldn't do anything else. If you do get on to paypal straight away, don't get back in touch with the emailer directly look at the ebay site directly. If they have included an ebay link don't use that as it's proablby false and they might be trying to get your security details.

zephyrcat Fri 13-Jul-07 12:38:05

I used to have a paypal account but I tried to open a new one yesterday and it came up that my card is already associated with an old account and can't be used on 2 accounts. Do paypal have a specific email address to forward this to?

fingerwoman Fri 13-Jul-07 12:42:00

no, there is something dodgy going on
look at the listing

looks like they have hacked the sellers account- so the message you have isnt' from the real seller it's from someone trying to get your details maybe?

not sure, but I would disable your paypal account just in case

wannaBe Fri 13-Jul-07 12:42:09

I would contact both ebay and paypal and be open to the fact that the email may be genuine. I have an aunt whose paypal account was hacked to buy on ebay, and my bil knows at least three people who this has happened to.

fingerwoman Fri 13-Jul-07 12:42:29

and yes, report to ebay and paypal.
not that they will do anything, but you might get lucky and get someone who cares lol

zephyrcat Fri 13-Jul-07 12:50:53

Thanks for the link - poor seller!!!

Will report it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now