Talk

Advanced search

Fixed price listings - now only on 'Good til Cancelled'

(22 Posts)
ruby1234 Tue 02-Apr-19 09:30:54

I'm relisting some unsold things today - seems the fixed price listings are now only available as 'Good til Cancelled' - is this just me or is it a new rule for everyone?
Are eBay going to sneakily charge 35p when the listings automatically relist?

ruby1234 Tue 02-Apr-19 09:37:49

It says on the selling page
"Good 'Til Cancelled
To help you sell your item, fixed price listings can only be listed with a Good 'Til Cancelled duration. Listings renew automatically every 30 days, based on the listing terms at that time, until all quantities sell or the listing ends. Each time a listing renews and whenever an item sells, you’ll be charged applicable fees".

elizaishere Tue 02-Apr-19 10:52:25

Are you using the app or on a computer?

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:58:53

If you use the desktop site, go into your listing to edit it, and there is an option to 'automatically renew up to 9 times' , uncheck this box and then if your item doesn't sell you can relist if you want. I had to phone Ebay to find this out, on the app there is no option to change it.

It's really sly of Ebay I think. If you sell an item for 99p plus exact postage, relisted at cost once, you are actually out of pocket once you take into account PayPal fees etc. It will eventually kill off eBay for private sellers because it's not worth the effort to make pennies, and it's pushing up the cost of items (eg people wanting £5 for a pair of Asda shorts, plus £4 postage!) so no one gets a good deal except Ebay.

ruby1234 Tue 02-Apr-19 11:14:00

Hi
The option for 'list up to 9 times' has gone from listings done since 1 April - I can see it still on my listings from March, but this month that option has disappeared?

This is on the desktop.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 02-Apr-19 11:16:24

Ruby thats interesting, so now there's no option to even remove it manually? It's a pain to have to do it but at least it stops the excess charges. If they don't let me remove it at all I'm not going to be listing much on there.

ruby1234 Tue 02-Apr-19 11:25:21

What I'm wondering is, I get 1000 free listing a month (I don't use anything like that amount) - will the auto relist use some of these 1000 free listings, or are the relists charged at 35p each?

If it just uses the free ones, then no problem, if it costs 35p each month to auto relist then it is too expensive! And very sneaky.

ruby1234 Tue 02-Apr-19 11:27:15

Ah... looking more carefully on the listings fee page: Good til cancelled - original duration - still unclear if it means they will relist free? Looks like only business sellers get the free renewals?

The following count toward your monthly allocation of free listings:
Manually relisted items
Automatically relisted items if you're a business seller
Good 'Til Cancelled duration original listings (all sellers)
Good 'Til Cancelled renewals if you're a business seller
Listings that you end early, or we end early
Duplicate identical auction-style listings (even if one or more of those listings doesn't appear on eBay immediately)

DontCallMeShitley Sun 07-Apr-19 00:19:56

Are you using relist or sell similar? I always use sell similar, you could try that and see if it makes a difference.

DontCallMeShitley Tue 09-Apr-19 14:28:31

OK, I have just been reading the Ebay Private Seller's Forum to see what on earth they are doing. Total confusion as usual.

The situation is that all BINs are going to be Good til Cancelled, and according to the post I am linking below, free to relist, however not free to make the first listing which will be charged at 35p.

I am not planning to list any GTC items until they have sorted this out, so will either not list at all, or will have to use auctions instead. This will reduce sales as most people buy on BIN. I think I will go back to Ebid.

community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/Ebay-Good-Till-Canceled/m-p/6261357#M445323

YeOldeTrout Tue 09-Apr-19 19:33:53

All of mine were listed with 0 for fees (few days ago, in April).

My nuisance is that I'm going on hols 33 days after the listing; I will have to manually cancel 25+ items. Argh.

JugzyMalone Tue 09-Apr-19 20:08:22

Oh for fucks SAKE I wondered why my eBay bills were so high. eBay can fuck off tbh. Facebook marketplace works really well. Thanks guys.

DontCallMeShitley Fri 12-Apr-19 08:15:27

I am waiting in case there is a fee for cancelling GTC listings. I have one only, to see what happens when I end it before the end.

Take a look at Ebid, I have sold stuff on there, but tend to forget about it when Ebay is working, and remember it when they do something like this.

PurpleFrog Tue 23-Apr-19 11:41:25

I hadn't listed for a few weeks, then discovered all this on Sunday. Sigh! I guess I didn't read the small print on some email I was sent, so it came as a bit of a shock. I had got into the habit of mainly using 7-day fixed price listings with Best Offer.So, I have just listed 4 items as auctions with offers, to see what happens, as nothing seems very clear. I did look at the selling forums on Sunday but no-one seems sure there either!

jessicawessica Fri 26-Apr-19 11:27:10

But if all BIN items are now GTC they won't need to be relisted as they'll just stay up for sale until sold. So I don't see where the relist 35p fee comes in.
Or am I just being dim?
Does GTC actually mean they will be on for 30 days and then Ebay automatically relist them?
Have just ended a listing manually then changed it to auction for 10 days but there is now a 50p fee to list.

PurpleFrog Fri 26-Apr-19 13:40:46

Yes, eBay will automatically re-list them after 30 days unless you sell them, or cancel them.

jessicawessica Fri 26-Apr-19 16:48:02

So basically I have to cancel all my listings on day 29 then relist them in order to not be charged 35p for every item?
What a ball ache.

nauticant Fri 26-Apr-19 17:39:51

What a pain in the arse this is. My items are mainly medium to high price, often £100+, that I sell at £1 final fee promo.

eBay are tightening the screws against certain types of seller that seems to include me. I'll experiment with cancelling at day 29 but as DontCallMeShitley says, we could be looking at a fee for cancelling GTC listings, or this might trigger some kind of sanction by eBay.

Alternatively I'll experiment with auctions just under my BIN new price and see what happens.

jessicawessica Fri 26-Apr-19 18:46:08

Well I tried to change from BIN to auction and the fee was 50p

ruby1234 Sat 27-Apr-19 11:13:22

The way I understand it, now I have read the Ebay forums, is that the GTC listings will automatically relist at 30 days and are free if within your allotted amount of listings. So if you are allowed 1000 listings, as long as all your listings don't go over 1000, then there is no fee. If you go over the allotment, then you pay 35p per listing.

tanpestryfirescreen Sun 28-Apr-19 10:53:59

The way I understand it, now I have read the Ebay forums, is that the GTC listings will automatically relist at 30 days and are free if within your allotted amount of listings. So if you are allowed 1000 listings, as long as all your listings don't go over 1000, then there is no fee. If you go over the allotment, then you pay 35p per listing.

But of you listed on a £1 final fee it will now be the 10%

nauticant Sun 28-Apr-19 22:16:14

I had a bit of a look around to see what might happen if a seller cancels "too many" eBay listings and there is discussion out there that it can have a behind-the-scenes impact on seller rating with possible knock-on effects in search results, etc. This needs some care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »