Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Paypal is telling me the item I've bought is above my spending limit! Have LOTS of available funding on card but when I click on "help" it just keeps telling me to add a bank account! Don't have any more to add...

(20 Posts)
NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 20:47:41

Just bought something off ebay, tried to pay by Paypal and got a message saying the amount was above my spending limit. I've spent far more than this before without problems

When I went into my paypal account I saw that my "available limit" was about £1,200 below my "spending limit" and I've no idea why. I didn't even know I had a limit!

If I click on "lift limit" it just tells me to add a bank account but the only bank account I have is already listed!

I've tried to ring the helpline but just keep getting recorded messages telling me to click on things which are not on the screen

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm really worried someone has got hold of one of my cards.....

southeastastra Tue 10-Jul-07 20:48:30

perhaps you need to get verified?

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 20:52:51

southeastastra I tried to click on "get verified" but it just takes me to the "add bank account" page. I don't have another bank account to add

southeastastra Tue 10-Jul-07 20:56:02

maybe try re-entering your original b/a details? i remember getting verified was a pita.

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:00:59

Appreciate this southeastastra thank you

If I re-enter the details will it automatically take the payment from my bank account or will it give me the option to change the funding as it normally does? Don't have enough money in my bank account to pay it, was going to pay for the item by credit card. This in itself shouldn't be a problem, I do this all the time

Just don't understand why this has suddenly happened. I've been on ebay for about 5 years and spent nearly twice this amount before without problems

WendyWeber Tue 10-Jul-07 21:04:42

They have an arbitrary limit on how much you can spend on any credit card - after that you have to go to current account, or else possibly fund your account some other way (eg by selling).

My limit was £500, I refuse to give them my current account details (because hacking in is possible, and you have more protection with a credit card) so I have stopped buying off ebay

southeastastra Tue 10-Jul-07 21:05:14

they put two small amounts of money into your account and when it's cleared you have to tell them the amount deposited iirc.

so i suppose that's why they need the bank details.

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:12:16

Just had another look at my Paypay account

I haven't given my bank account details but I HAVE given my debit card details which of course is linked to my bank account

I'm with WendyWeber in that I don't really want to give them my account details but if I have to then I will

What I still don't understand is why this has suddenly happened. And why my "spending limit" is about £1,200 less than my "available limit". I've spent a bit recently but I do mean a bit, absolutely nowhere near that much!

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:13:34

Got that the wrong way round

ABAILABLE limit is less than SPENDING limit

Sorry...

WendyWeber Tue 10-Jul-07 21:15:04

It isn't your card spending limit, NAAM - it's a figure that Paypal put on what they will allow you to spend on any credit card.

Pissed me off no end

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:20:29

Right I see now WW, thank you

But how come I've already spent nearly twice the amount I'm trying to spend today and not had problems? And why is my available limit so much less than my spending limit?

To put it into perspective, my Paypal account says I have a spending limit of £1,700, available credit £270something, I'm trying to spend £299. I spent £540 a couple of months ago which went through straight away. In the last month I've probably spent about £300 absolute maximum on Paypal, definitely no more

WendyWeber Tue 10-Jul-07 21:24:06

£1700 is a lot more than I had

As I understand it, you have been spending against £1700 which has decreased as you have spent - iyswim. Now your limit is down to £270 and you have tried to spend more than that so it has been blocked.

This happened to me when my limit was down to £11 and I tried to spend £12 (or thereabouts) so the transaction was blocked and there was no way to increase my limit or to add a new card.

Stupid system.

southeastastra Tue 10-Jul-07 21:28:48

i thought the system was that once you've spent £500 with paypal, you then have to get verified, but confused if you've had £540 go through couple of months ago.

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:29:36

But what I don't understand is that the only money I have spent on this card is what I've spent on Paypal - nowhere near even half the £1,700!

Don't know what the time limit is on their "available credit" but I've spent very nearly £1,000 in a month before now and not had any of this

<<<confused>>>

WendyWeber Tue 10-Jul-07 21:30:36

To get verified you have to give them your current account details? That was what I jibbed at. If they have NAAM's debit card details I suppose that's the same as current account so I don't really understand this block either.

I don't like Paypal

WendyWeber Tue 10-Jul-07 21:31:13

Have you emailed them about it, NAAM?

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:31:18

x posts southeastastra

Fairly certain I spent more than £500 even before I did the £540 transaction

<<< still confused >>>

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:34:02

WW no I haven't yet but I think I'll have to, just tried to ring them because I wanted to pay for it straight away

Well....I'm off to bed now. I'll come back on tomorrow in case anyone has any more info

Thanks everyone for all your help, really appreciate it

southeastastra Tue 10-Jul-07 21:34:47

are you verified at all? if not i imagine that's what they want you to do, maybe they've raised the limit, it was a while that we had to do it.

am i making any sense

NotActuallyAMum Tue 10-Jul-07 21:41:26

Yes you are definitely making sense, you're probably right maybe they have upped the limit

Definitely off to bed now......

Was only trying to buy a Nintendo Wii for DHtobe and me!! LOL!!

We're getting married at the end of next month and had decided not to buy each other anything as a present but then I had the brainwave of getting this between us. Wish I hadn't bothere now!!!

Why don't they let people know they have a limit??!!

I'm sure it'll be fine in the end

Thanks again everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now