Talk

Advanced search

Returned item what do I do now?

(9 Posts)
Fairyliz Mon 11-Feb-19 16:56:30

I sold an item on ebay and posted it out in early December. It has just been returned to me by the post office as the buyer did not collect it from her local sorting office.

The thing is what so I do now? I am sure if I contact ebay they will say it is my responsibility to get it to the buyer; but as that would cost me more postage and it only sold for £5 I don't really want to do that.

On the other hand I feel guilty just sitting on the item when the buyer has paid for it. I so wonder if the post office left a card.

So MN any words of advice?

Jitters22 Mon 11-Feb-19 19:14:36

I can't help I'm afraid because I'm in a similar situation to you - in that I have both the product and the money!

Was going to start my own thread, but instead have posted here in the hope that someone will come along who can help us both.

I bought an item - also for a fiver. With postage it came to £8 something. Got the notification it had been posted Royal Mail 2nd class, and waited. Other stuff ordered after this item turned up, but no sign of this one. I let the seller know after 7 days, she suggested it might be due to the bad weather (not an issue where I live but obviously a problem in other parts of the country) and she asked me to wait until a specific day to see if they turned up.

The day came - no sign of item, so I let her know and she refunded me. I didn't ask for a refund, she just did it.

Next day - you've guessed it - the item turned up. So I contacted her to tell her it had arrived and I wanted to keep it. I also checked PayPal and the refund had come through.

I asked her to invoice me and I'd pay immediately - but since then I've heard nothing! I don't feel comfortable having both the refund and the item, but I have no other means of contacting other than messaging her via Ebay, but if she doesn't reply what can I do? I want to pay!

imsorryiasked Mon 11-Feb-19 19:22:38

I'd refund the price of the item but not the postage. They should have queried it with you long before now re non- delivery.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Mon 11-Feb-19 19:36:23

It's odd that they haven't moaned about non-delivery yet. Have you sent them a message via eBay?

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Mon 11-Feb-19 19:37:18

Jitters22, you can just send a paypal payment, you don't need an invoice. The address will be in the details of you original payment.

Jitters22 Mon 11-Feb-19 19:39:42

Ah ok then I will do that! Many thanks Dribble.

BobTheDuvet Mon 11-Feb-19 19:46:23

I ordered something before Xmas. I'd ordered loads of stuff at the same time (different sellers) and didn't notice that this thing - a jumper - had not arrived until over a month later. I wrote to the seller asking where it was and they checked and found it had been delivered to a completely random address in another town and signed for by someone else. I pointed this out - that the item had been delivered 20miles away from where I live and not to my eBay postal address. Because it was over a month there was nothing I could do!

Check eBay rules - it may just be hard luck on your buyer if it's over a month since it was posted.

lljkk Mon 11-Feb-19 19:47:28

@Fairyliz, under the circumstances, I think i"d refund them (via Ebay) with message why (seems I can't deliver this to you & the failed delivery + lack of msgs makes me think you don't want it now).

Then send a cancellation request to try to get Ebay fees back. IIRC, they auto-self-cancel after so many days with no reply.

SpringForEver Mon 25-Feb-19 03:08:01

Bob - PayPal gives you much longer, you can open a case with them if you are too late for Ebay.

I have had items returned, I contact the buyer and ask them to pay the postage again if they still want the item. They usually do. I also ensure that it is sent recorded the second time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »