Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Selling a crib: how to pack and post? or should I offer pick-up only?

(7 Posts)
melpomene Mon 02-Jul-07 21:23:24

I'm about to list a bedside crib for sale and am trying to work out how much to charge for postage. It weighs 12kg. It's currently assembled but I estimate that when it's flatpacked it will be roughly 100cm * 60cm * 30cm. I don't have the original box. So, depending on what packaging I use it could end up being too big for Payperdrop (size limit 120x60x60cms)or Parcelforce ("must not exceed 3 metres length and girth (measured around its thickest part) combined".

So, are there any couriers with more generous size limits? Should I offer to post it and risk finding out that it's over the size limits when it's all packed up? Or should I just put it up for collection only? Presumably it'd be less likely to sell if it's collection only.

HELP!

imnot27 Mon 02-Jul-07 21:29:28

I would try to price it up using websites. I think it would be okay for parcelforce. Then, add a couple of quid to the p + p price on ebay in case it's over, and say that you'll refund any difference. I've done this loads of times, and I do actually refund the difference, it's easy if you have paypal. You just go to paypal account, and where it shows the payment from the buyer, you can pay into their account.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Mon 02-Jul-07 21:35:23

I would do collection only, packing it to avoid damage intransit may turn out more expensive that the posting, and a disaster if it gets damage in the way to the winning bidder (I was given a table totally free of charge because returning it was going to be such hassle and expense for the seller he decided to return my money in the condition that I kept the table! )

You can advertise it for free in local newspapers too.

Piffle Mon 02-Jul-07 21:38:05

I sent mine using standard parcels
mine was a global bedside crib
I weighed it and used royal mail online postage to do the label and dropped it off straight to sorting office
Cost about £15.00
we used bubble wrap and old cardborad packing boxes plus yards of parcel tape - do factor that in to your costs

melpomene Mon 02-Jul-07 22:27:24

Thanks everyone. I had a look at the Royal Mail website and as far as I can see they only have a limit of 1.5m on length so I should be all right with them.

It's listed now.

Arransmummy Thu 05-Jul-07 11:32:30

Hi, payperdrop also offer another service for bigger parcels. Sorry don't know how much it is though. If you have a look at their shop it has loads of different options

curlywurlycremeegg Thu 05-Jul-07 15:56:24

I would also go for collection only. I bought a bedside crib pf ebay and it turnned up in an awful state, obv due to the courier not how it was sent out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now