Talk

Advanced search

Collection in person question

(13 Posts)
yesimthistired Fri 25-Jan-19 16:25:54

If you've listed something for collection only, and someone asks if you can post it, what protection would eBay offer if you did post?

They sound like they really want it but I don't want to end up out of pocket somehow.

yesimthistired Fri 25-Jan-19 16:29:23

I don't know if I phrased any of that right by the way!

FinallyFree123456789 Fri 25-Jan-19 16:32:22

If you send it tracked delivery and they receive a signature upon delivery eBay will normally side with you as long as you have entered the tracking info online for them to see.

The buyer should also cover the cost of the postage.

yesimthistired Fri 25-Jan-19 16:37:20

Thank you that's helpful!

Donkeys years ago when I was first on eBay, I seem to remember some sort of rule of only ever accepting cash on delivery for collection items because of scammers. I guess recorded delivery solves that?

FinallyFree123456789 Fri 25-Jan-19 16:53:47

If someone is collecting from you in person - only accept cash when the collect.

If you are posting the item out to them - send it recorded signed for - once the parcel is delivered they update the tracking and eBay can see it their end of the buyer says they haven't received it.
Make sure if you post it that you amend the listing to include deliver and only send to the buyers registered PayPal address. Also remember to check that the postage service you use covers the value of the item - some cover basic up to £20 then additional for over that

Pfingstrose Fri 25-Jan-19 16:59:02

If they are paying via PayPal then make sure you get a trackable signed for delivery service that you arrange.

I once sold an expensive item which I listed as cash on collection because I couldn't be arsed to faff couriering it; the buyer then said they were sending their own courier to collect it. I stupidly agreed. The day before the PayPal dispute window closed (months later) the buyer said they had not received it. Without proof of a signature for delivery (and with a hazy memory of which courier even collected it by this time) I was stuffed- buyer was immediately ruled in favour of and refunded by PayPal out of my account.

Urgh, this was ages ago and my crossness about it has been rekindled just remembering it!

IceRebel Fri 25-Jan-19 17:05:26

If you're selling something as collection only chances are you're not getting the best price you could be, as it limits your buying market. If you're willing to post the item I would relist at a higher price with the option of postage, as you'll have more potential buyers and are likely to sell for a higher price.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Fri 25-Jan-19 17:09:34

I came on to say exactly what IceRebel said. If you are the one selling the item and are considering posting it I would amend the listing to a higher price and just stick a postage option on.

Most people wont click on your item respecting that you want it collecting. Those who do and then ask for it to be posted are taking advantage of the fact your item isn't appealing to the whole of eBay's market because you have listed it as collection only.

yesimthistired Fri 25-Jan-19 17:22:45

That makes sense Ice and Heads, thanks. Feels a bit rude at that potential buyer though, hope they won't mind.

IceRebel Fri 25-Jan-19 17:27:37

It's far ruder for the buyer to ignore your collection only listing and ask if you will post, there was obviously a reason you didn't put postage on the listing in the first place. The only reason they will be annoyed is that they're missing out on a potential bargain. If they still want the item they have the option to pay the higher price plus postage, if not then someone else is sure to buy it as you'll have a much larger buying market.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Fri 25-Jan-19 17:29:17

Feels a bit rude at that potential buyer though, hope they won't mind.

Don't think of yourself as rude. If anything its them that has been rude, if you wanted to post it surely you would have listed it with that option.

They asked someone who stated collection only if they would post, you're within your right to say no. If you say yes explain you have amended the item to reflect this. Meaning - I've raised the price and added postage charges. Nothing rude about either response. grin

yesimthistired Fri 25-Jan-19 17:43:08

Another good point thank you grin

Will give it a try

19lottie82 Fri 25-Jan-19 17:59:09

Bottom line is.

Collection = cash only.

Posting an item = make sure you use a service with a proof of delivery and also purchase adequate insurance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »