Talk

Advanced search

Chair not as described

(10 Posts)
Gingerkittykat Mon 14-Jan-19 23:26:49

I bought a computer chair for £45. I built it up, noticed it was really uncomfortable so measured it. The seat is a lot smaller than the spec, and the backrest is 20cm shorter making the whole thing uncomfortable for me.

Buyer says returns in condition received, once the chair has been slotted together you can't take the body off the legs. Returns at buyers expense, I am guessing sending a built chair back would be really expensive.

I sent a message to seller, no response yet. I also opened a paypal dispute.

Does anyone know how paypal/ebay are likely to repond?

I never noticed it was a Chinese seller, otherwise I would't have bought from them. Goods were shipped within 3 days from the UK. They had around 99% rating, but any negative feedback it seemed like they just apologised and didn't try to put it right.

airelle Mon 14-Jan-19 23:29:41

Why wouldn't you have bought off a Chinese seller hmm

19lottie82 Tue 15-Jan-19 07:10:55

PayPal are likely to decide in your favour, but you will be responsible for the cost of returning the item to the seller.

Once this has been announced you should call PayPal and explain that the return will cost you more than the chair. They may give you a goodwill refund, but I can’t guarantee this.

Always open an eBay case before a PayPal one if possible, as it is the sellers responsibility to facilitate the return.

19lottie82 Tue 15-Jan-19 07:12:16

Why wouldn't you have bought off a
*Chinese seller*hmm

Why the eye roll? Are you trying to insinuate the OP is some kind of racist because she tries to avoid Chinese sellers? 😂

PippilottaLongstocking Tue 15-Jan-19 07:18:53

Request refund as ‘not as described ‘

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 15-Jan-19 07:21:28

I'm not sure what you want them to do? They have accepted a return on the item and if you contacted Ebay then they would state the same as the seller. The item needs to be returned before you can be refunded.

The return should be at the sellers cost though. Have you started a case on Ebay? Open an item not as described case and you will be provided with a label to return the item. It might be a pain to send it back part built, but the cost should be met by the seller so all you need to do is find a box to send it in.

Surfskatefamily Tue 15-Jan-19 07:28:38

The seller can be requested to cover an amount of the return cost. Up to £20normally. Continue with your refund request and they should sort it

19lottie82 Tue 15-Jan-19 15:13:00

The seller can be requested to cover an
amount of the return cost. Up to
£20normally. Continue with your refund request and they should sort it

Not exactly how it works.

With an eBay case the seller is responsible for providing a pre paid returns label so the buyer can return a faulty / misdescribed item.

With PayPal the seller bears no responsibility in paying for or arranging the return of an item BUT PayPal have a scheme that it running at the moment called “returns on us”, where they will refund the postage to the buyer for up to 2 (?) returns a year. The maximum is £15 though and I can’t see this covering the return of a chair to China.

MikeUniformMike Tue 15-Jan-19 18:00:17

Let Ebay deal with it. I bought something that wasn't as described. The listing said the buyer was in Manchester, but he was in China. They offered me a partial refund then made a better offer then asked me to send it back. I refused. Ebay refunded me.
I got to keep the item. It was just what I wanted, size was fine but in the wrong fabric.

Gingerkittykat Tue 15-Jan-19 19:16:24

Thanks for the advice everyone, I would be happy to return the chair at the buyers expense but I don't think it would be fair to expect me to foot the cost since it is not my fault.

I have bought several low cost items from Chinese sellers before, I'm happy to take the risk with a couple of pounds for earrings or something similar but would prefer to buy larger items from UK sellers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »