Talk

Advanced search

Advice please on refund request

(4 Posts)
Megsmcgoo Fri 21-Dec-18 19:50:30

I sold a dress last week worth 59.99 still in shops and it sold for 11.50, quite a bargain! I sent it on December 17th 1st class recorded delivery and just now have had a request for a refund as it didn’t arrive and was for a Christmas party. I’m now away until Monday and won’t be able to access the receipt until then, would it be unreasonable to wait until then to reply properly? I’ve said as much to the buyer. I don’t really want to issue a refund as I have fulfilled my end of the bargain and sent within good time with recorded post.

I’ve sold on eBay lots but this is the first time it’s happened to me so I want to make sure I do it right without leaving myself out of pocket unnecessarily

19lottie82 Fri 21-Dec-18 21:26:44

There’s not much you can do until you check the delivery status online, so you’ve done the right thing telling the buyer you will address the matter when you’re back on Monday.

Packages can obviously get delayed at this time of year and unfortunately eBay don’t adjust their deliver estimates accordingly BUT I can understand why the buyer is a bit miffed if they needed it for a party and eBay said it would be there in time.

Chances are it will show up, and as long as you have proof of delivery, Then you don’t have to refund. Basically you have a week after the buyer opens a non receipt case to prove delivery and avoid refunding.

If / when it does arrive eBay won’t force a return based on late delivery, if the buyer requests this. However, if the my do request a return then you may choose to accept it as a good will gesture / to avoid negative feedback. It’s entirely your choice though.

In retrospect the best thing to do when listing items around Christmas is to list a 3 day dispatch time on all your listings, and post within 1 day and then mark as dispatched 2 days later.

Sorry if the above all seems a bit confusing, if you would like any clarification just let me know.

19lottie82 Fri 21-Dec-18 21:27:15

PS if for some reason the item doesn’t show up, then you will need to refund.

Megsmcgoo Fri 21-Dec-18 22:14:53

Thank you, i’lL have to wait until Monday then, I thought it may be because it’s a busy time with post etc. Happy to refund if it does turn up and I can repost it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »