Talk

Advanced search

Buyer is saying they havent recieved the item.

(18 Posts)
neveradullmoment99 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:38:10

Posted on Wednesday last week First class signed for. Buyer contacted me to say she hasnt received it. When I track the item it is reading that it was received at the Post office [ on the Wednesday] and will update when there is further information. It doesn't seem to be updating. Not sure what to do. I obviously have the receipt. Any advice?

E20mom Mon 10-Dec-18 16:42:58

Just give the buyer the tracking reference. The onus is on them to see where the parcel is now.

ScreamingValenta Mon 10-Dec-18 16:47:37

If it's not showing as having got any further than the P.O. it was sent from, I'd be starting to suspect it's lost in transit. I don't think the onus is on the buyer to chase it up in this instance as you're the one who's contracted with Royal Mail to deliver it. I would speak to Royal Mail to ask if they can trace it.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:53:19

Who do I speak to? I have gone on their website and not sure who to contact.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:54:42

Can you give me a link to where I can ask RM to track it for me? Im worried I am going to be out of pocket - no item, having to refund the money.

Pringlemunchers Mon 10-Dec-18 16:55:39

Believe or not, it is early days ( in the post office eyes ) to be worrying. They say to allow ( I think from memory ) ten working days , before they consider it lost or delayed .

Pringlemunchers Mon 10-Dec-18 16:56:56

Also ,it is a very busy time of year for them. So things can take longer, the only way to ensure delivery times is special delivery.

Pringlemunchers Mon 10-Dec-18 16:57:17

What was the value ?

neveradullmoment99 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:58:34

Ok, that's really good to know. Especially with loads of parcels just now with Christmas. I am especially annoyed as the parcel was sent somewhere local and should have been very quick to arrive. She offered to come and collect it!!! I said I wanted to post it and now this. I have been using RM for years and never had one thing go missing I have to say.

TeacupDrama Mon 10-Dec-18 16:58:42

The onus is not on the buyer, if it does not arrive the seller needs to refund the buyer and then claim from royal mail for 1 st class mail you need to wait 10 days,
while 1st class in theory should have arrived last week there maybe delays in run up to Christmas
The above info is incorrect on enayer the onus is always on seller to ensure delivery only purchaser of postage can claim and if it doesn't show as arrived by tracking ebay will always find in the buyers favour if it is shown as arrived via tracking then seller is protected
1. reply to buyer politely saying you are sorry to hear it has not arrived but could you give it a few more days as it's busy with Christmas and please contact me again if not arrived on Thursday give them the tracking number if not already on ebay you could ask them to check if it is possibly with a neighbour
2. if it has not arrived by thursday the buyer can start a case, you reply you will claim from Royal mail but you need to wait ( you will need to check but think it is 10 working days) you can fill in all the forms online and upload the ebay invoice etc and your receipt
3 you will have to refund buyer before you hear back from Royal Mail by the weekend I would think if your paperwork is in order you will be refunded by royal mail for the cost of the item and your original postage cost ( you won't get back any extra you added to cover packaging)
4. most parcels turn up so Royal mail will probably not engage until allotted time is up

neveradullmoment99 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:59:34

Well it sold for about £40 although I know that RM wont give me that back. I think its only £20 sad

Redken24 Mon 10-Dec-18 16:59:48

Have to give it longer especially at Christmas time.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 10-Dec-18 17:01:17

My worry is that I refund and then she gets the item!

TeacupDrama Mon 10-Dec-18 17:02:55

less than 1% of things go missing forever about 4-5% are delayed beyond expected delivery times
note all first class mail goes straight to large regional centre not local sorting office so even if you are posting a few streets away it will go to nearest hub to travel overnight from here it is glasgow if you are remote rural second class can be quicker
i sell as a business on ebay I would say above figures are roughly right for me non arrivals with all carriers including the dreaded hermes and yodel is about 1 in 375 parcels

TeacupDrama Mon 10-Dec-18 17:03:16

it is £50 for signed for

TeacupDrama Mon 10-Dec-18 17:04:40

ebay give you quite some time to refund and seriously if it is not there in 10 days it is lost you will get your £40 back from RM

ScreamingValenta Mon 10-Dec-18 17:13:29

Just use the 'contact us' option on the RM tracking website.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 10-Dec-18 17:14:08

Oh thanks. That is great to know. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: