Talk

Advanced search

Buyer Wants to Delay Payment

(13 Posts)
Gingefringe Fri 23-Nov-18 18:08:21

I sold an item on a 'best offer' buy it now today for a few pounds less than the offer price .
The buyer has now contacted me now with the message "Can I pay Thursday?"
If there was a "Please" or "Do you mind if I pay Thursday" in her request (or even if she'd mentioned it when she made the offer for me to consider) I wouldn't mind and would agree to the delayed payment.
I'm so annoyed at this attitude - I feel like cancelling the sale, relisting and blocking her - what are your thoughts?

Piffpaffpoff Fri 23-Nov-18 18:10:33

I’d say no. I know some folk will think me mean but you might be desperate for money! If she’d asked politely or messaged you beforehand I might have considered it though.

Gingefringe Fri 23-Nov-18 19:21:47

Yes Piffpaff that's exactly how I feel!

BadHairDyeDay Fri 23-Nov-18 20:11:58

I would definitely be saying immediate payment please or the item will remain for sale at the original price - you might Get a better offer after all. What a rude th8ng for the "buyer" to do 😡

Jozen Fri 23-Nov-18 20:15:12

What BadHair says.
It'll get to Thursday and there'll be another delay.

Caselgarcia Fri 23-Nov-18 20:17:54

I had this, some joker was the highest bidder on my sons xbox, he sent a message to say he couldn't pay until the end of the week but MUST have the xbox delivered by the Monday of the following week. I said the sooner you pay the sooner it gets delivered. He said no, until I confirmed he would get it by Monday he wasn't going to pay!

FamilyOfAliens Fri 23-Nov-18 20:22:30

You may not be able to cancel the sale unless you pretend the item is no longer available.

Although I get your annoyance and would feel the same as you about this, from eBay’s point of view they won’t accept she is a non-paying bidder because paying within six days is seen as reasonable.

toastymarshmallowss Fri 23-Nov-18 20:27:40

Also they can still leave you bad feedback regardless of what you do.

itsbritneybiatches Fri 23-Nov-18 20:27:52

I've just sold a pair of ugg boots, it's day three now, no payment, no contact from buyer.

19lottie82 Sat 24-Nov-18 16:18:52

This is a pain in the arse and really annoying but you need to be careful not to annoy customer so they leave a negative.

I’d send her a polite message saying that Thursday is fine, however you have been messed about by buyers making similar promises in the past, so just to cover your back you will open a non payment case on Tuesday, but as long as you pay by Thursday it will just close out with no negative effects to her. But if they don’t pay on Thursday you will have to escalate it to cancel the sale.

Apologies again and say you hope she doesn’t take offence, it’s just to cover your back in the event of non payment.

taytotayto111 Mon 07-Jan-19 21:47:54

Lottie that’s a great idea. The same thing has happened to me a few times and it makes me so cross. I would never bid on an item if I didn’t have the money to pay.I’m shocked at how many people are obviously living hand to mouth but still need that new skirt blouse shirt etc.

Fairyliz Thu 28-Feb-19 19:33:15

DD sells lots of clothes accessories on ebay. At the moment she reckons about 30% of people bid on items but don't pay. She always reports them to ebay then blocks on her account but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

SpringForEver Fri 01-Mar-19 19:20:38

On a BIN listing I always select the immediate payment option, they can't buy it unless they pay first.

I no longer use auctions as it prevents non-payers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: