Talk

Advanced search

Decline or accept return? Buyer CF

(10 Posts)
OfNoFixedAbode Sat 17-Nov-18 14:37:16

Please help, this is a new one to me! Buyer sends a return request under category ‘doesn’t fit’, message just says she has other boots from that brand in that size and she doesn’t know why they don’t fit..no ‘would you mind..’ or anything, just that. I agreed she could return and I would refund minus the postage out-she agrees and asks for address. Then read up and saw I won’t get my FVF back unless I refund in full. Haven’t clicked accept or decline (which is an option) at this stage. I message her again politely but stating this is unfair on me as this is the risk you take buying online. Ask her to consider relisting herself. Point out she is a seller (I’ve looked) who accepts no returns also and can surely understand how unfair it is. No response for a day. Message again asking for a response, stating if I don’t hear back by end of the say I will decline the return. But..should I? I’m scared to click that button as I’ve read she could then open a SNAD case and I’ll potebtially end up minus £45 and my boots. But then I’d rather not accept, feel this is very cheeky indeed and I would never even ask, just sell on. Any help appreciated and thanks for reading smile

Santasstuffedsack Sat 17-Nov-18 15:59:52

OP, ask MNHQ to pop this over to the Ebay section & put a shout-out to Lottie smile

Santasstuffedsack Sat 17-Nov-18 16:02:08

Oh my brain - sorry! Ignore me....obviously!

I can’t help any further but I do know that whilst she may herself state she doesn’t accept returns, this is irrelevant because Ebay usually sides with the buyer and would intervene to accept the return.

I suspect she could argue that each shoe/boot is cut differently so ebay would side with her, however I can totally see your point.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Sat 17-Nov-18 16:09:25

If (as seems likely) she opens a SNAD, she will still need to return the boots, but I think you will have to pay for the return postage (I'm a business seller though and the rules may be different for us).

You would only lose the boots and the cash if the dispute was escalated and eBay stepped in to issue the refund on your behalf.

One thing I've had success with in the past is to contact eBay CS and say that while I was happy to accept the return, the reason for it was false and I wanted it changed (she has said in a message that they just didn't fit, which should be enough). CS changed it to a change of mind return, which meant that at least I didn't have to pay the return postage. I've no idea if CS are supposed to do that, but they did. It only seems to work if you get Dublin though, the other call centre is hopeless.

19lottie82 Sat 17-Nov-18 16:17:25

Yes, she could potentially open a SNAD case if you reject her non fault return, but the chances are slim. I don’t let it put me off in similar situations.

Even if she does open a SNAD then you won’t end up without the money and the boots, you will just need to accept it and issue a returns label.

Your private listing should read “returns not accepted” as a default, so double check this then, if you want to, reject the return and refer her back to the listing and stating unfortunately you don’t accept returns as you are a private seller.

If she leaves you negative feedback based on your refusal to accept then if you contact eBay they should remove it.

If I’m selling stuff on my private account I don’t accept non fault returns. I’m not a shop!

OfNoFixedAbode Sat 17-Nov-18 16:22:46

Thank you both, I have spoken to eBay who basically agreed with me that I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t. Should know better than to appeal to the better nature of awkward buyers. Now just to hope she sends my actual boots back in new condition, been reading horror stories of boxes with bricks being returned to sellers shock

OfNoFixedAbode Sat 17-Nov-18 16:27:01

Thanks Lottie, I am a private seller and states clearly no returns. I guess I did kind of say I’d accept it but then hadn’t realised the loss of FVF so retracted it. And I’ve told her I’ll decline it if I don’t hear from her and I haven’t.. so if I decline best case scenario she goes away and worst she opens a SNAD and I just have to pay her postage to return? So I’m essentially gambling £2.95 hmm

19lottie82 Sat 17-Nov-18 17:41:38

Yes, pretty much.

Skatersbeskating Sat 17-Nov-18 17:46:25

I feel sorry for you. Its all a headache. There are some honest people that use Ebay & CFs ruin it sad

OfNoFixedAbode Sat 17-Nov-18 17:53:04

Thanks skatersbeskating, goes a while with no issues then you get someone difficult, and it makes you more abrasive with people that are reasonable!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »