Talk

Advanced search

Missing item

(15 Posts)
claracluck78 Sun 11-Nov-18 19:13:47

Just looking for some advice please.

I sold an item which was posted 1st class in due time. I sent normal post but with proof of postage.

The buyer is saying she hasn't received the item but the proof of postage on the receipt I have says it has been delivered. She has now opened a case for refund.

Do I need to refund and then claim from Royal Mail or do I argue and get the buyer to claim from RM? I'm concerned that I'll end up out of pocket as the RM says it has been delivered.

I've not had this problem before and want to protect my seller rating

TIA

19lottie82 Sun 11-Nov-18 19:33:04

No you don’t need to refund. Just upload the reference number against the sales record and you will be protected against a not received dispute, and they won’t be able to leave feedback.

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-18 19:46:51

Proof of postage is not proof of delivery. Did you pay for recorded delivery? Do you have a tracking code you can look up that says it was delivered?

19lottie82 Sun 11-Nov-18 19:50:56

lljkk if you send a small or medium parcel with Royal Mail, it gives you a reference number. If you enter the reference number into the RM website, it gives you a proof of delivery (if the item has been delivered, of course). This proof of delivery is enough to win a not received case with eBay or PayPal.

Royal Mail have offered this for non “signed for” parcels for over a year now.

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-18 19:53:36

Ah, that's very helpful & I acknowledge my ignorance.
Not sure OP said she sent a parcel, though? Just 'an item'. Which could have been large letter I imagine.

Wasn't there an Ebay rule about needing to upload the tracking number BEFORE a case was opened, else Ebay still didn't accept the tracking as valid? I hope that problem is all fixed, too.

19lottie82 Sun 11-Nov-18 20:14:11

The OP says the receipt shows it has been delivered, so it must have been a parcel.

No, that’s never been the case as far as I know?

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-18 20:38:57

Maybe it's only an Ebay.com thing. Although I thought it was policy on Ebay.uk years ago.

From
community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sellers-must-upload-tracking-BEFORE-Estimated-Delivery-Date-to/td-p/28842989

"Starting September 10, 2018, you will be required to upload tracking in the structured data field before the estimated delivery date has passed in order to appeal an "item not received" claim. eBay will not protect you from a claim if you send the tracking number to the buyer via email."

That appears to be an official site. So pretty official.

claracluck78 Sun 11-Nov-18 20:40:21

Thanks everyone

It was sent as a small parcel and the RM tracking shows it was delivered. All the tracking etc is uploaded on eBay and clearly clicks through to show delivery details.

I just don't know whether to sit back and wait for them decision or if I need to do anything else

RedWineAllMine Sun 11-Nov-18 22:03:04

She's received it but is saying she hasn't to bag a freebie. Just upload the reference number on to the tracking details for the sold item. That's all you need to do.

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-18 22:06:17

There must be a way for OP to respond to her case to say that tracking shows it was delivered.

19lottie82 Sun 11-Nov-18 22:07:01

Youre fine then. You can even ask eBay to escalate the case, and they will close it out in your favour without you having to wait.

Namechanger55555 Sun 11-Nov-18 22:09:15

This maybe a silly question- but does the tracking say who it was signed for by?

StarUtopia Sun 11-Nov-18 22:23:15

Ok. Sorry to hijack thread. I've just had this with a parcel - first one I have ever sent not Signed for :/

There is a reference number, but when I enter it on Track and Trace it just says "An update will be provided when we attempt to deliver your item' '

So it does look like she's telling the truth ( I was certain they were pulling a fast one!)

Now what?! If the post office have lost it, should it be me who claims against them or her? We're talking £15 if it helps, so not a huge amount but a pita to lose.

Sadly as well...I had sent her the receipt as proof I had sent it, not entered the info into the section.

19lottie82 Mon 12-Nov-18 08:28:02

Hi Star - really best you start your own thread. As this is still an active one it will just get confusing for all involved! smile

19lottie82 Mon 12-Nov-18 08:29:05

This maybe a silly question- but does the
tracking say who it was signed for by?

It’s not tracking, just a proof of delivery.
No signature so it doesn’t give a name, but as above it’s good enough to win a not received case against you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »