Talk

Advanced search

PayPal Cross Boarder fees?

(5 Posts)
mortgagemoans Thu 25-Oct-18 12:16:51

I posted earlier in the week saying that I have just started selling again on Ebay after a gap of some years.

Aside from the fact that Ebay are withholding my fees at the moment I have also seen that PayPal have overcharged me in fees on two of my transactions. When i queried they said that there were additional 'Cross Boarder' fees (border was what they possibly meant?!)

Basically I have ended up selling two items to people who are overseas but who have provided a UK address. These addresses are in fact courier companies who will then forward my items on to them (1 is in Czechoslovakia the other is in Bahrain). I have therefore been charged because they have paid from overseas and/or also have paid in a foreign currency.

It's a pain in the arse and has ended up costing me more.

Has anyone dealt with this? Is there are wording I can put in my listing that stipulates I won't deliver to courier companies and won't take overseas payments? I thought the fact that I didn't quote International postage would make it obvious I was only dealing with UK bidders. I feel stung!

InspectorIkmen Tue 30-Oct-18 11:27:54

I take a lot of payments from all over the world and I've never had that. Very odd. If I were you I'd get back on to them and ask them to clarify how you can avoid such charges in future

19lottie82 Tue 30-Oct-18 16:32:57

I’ve been an eBay seller for over ten years and have never heard of this either.

19lottie82 Tue 30-Oct-18 16:34:29

Maybe this will help

jeangalea.com/understanding-paypal-cross-border-fees/

mortgagemoans Thu 01-Nov-18 20:04:51

So if you look at that link 19lottie82 kindly posted it is very definitely a thing. Why have you therefore not being charged for it in over 10 years of trading nor has Inspectorlkmen?? Why just me?!

It's not an extortionate amount for instance: a sale total of £31.25 incurred a PayPal fee of £1.89 when I'd expected £1.26 (buyer was having it freighted out to Bahrain) and a sale of £64 incurred a PayPal fee of £3.21 when I'd expected £2.38 (buyer was having it freighted out to Czechoslovakia)

Some might say don't worry about small amounts, but it all adds up! Also I do worry about the potential for things going wrong when you're effectively going through two postal/courier processes before it ends up with the actual buyer. It's been over a week since I posted off the packages but I have had no feedback to say whether they have arrived with their buyer yet.

I don't think it's worth excluding this type of overseas buyer (even if there was a way I could) but my heart will definitely sink when I see a buyer's address that is obviously an international freight forwarder!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: