Talk

Advanced search

eBay seller might not be honest - when to open a case?

(20 Posts)
WaitingForSunday17 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:31:50

I bid on something that was listed as collection only but the description stated that if you contacted the seller they would give a postal cost and would post. I did that before bidding and subsequently won the item.
The seller said they’d invoice me for the whole amount but I didn’t receive it and then she said she’d sent it to the wrong address. Subsequently I paid for the item and then just sent the postage cost (5.80) via PayPal. I knew I wouldn’t get this back if there was an issue. but it was only £5.80 so can live with that, however the item itself was £55 and I cannot afford to write that amount off!

It’s been ten days since I won the item. The seller said the courier was coming last Monday. And then last Wednesday and then yesterday. Apparently it was actually collected yesterday but the seller hasn’t marked as despatched or given me a tracking number.
Looking at the feedback - which showed as 100% for some reason - it seems they have done this before several times. Buyers saying that the seller hadn’t sent the item, had ignored communication etc.
How long should I wait before opening a case? I know i won’t get the postage back but I’d like the £55! We go on holiday the end of next week so if it hasn’t been sent already it will likely come when we are away and we are away for a fortnight. Although to be honest if she hasn’t sent it by now it probably isn’t coming is it?

Thanks.

WaitingForSunday17 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:32:28

Sorry just to clarify - sent the email with the invoice to the wrong address. Not the item.

isseywithcats Sat 11-Aug-18 20:49:29

file an item not received with ebay and then the seller will have to respond with tracking number if she has sent it or refund if they cant prove that they have sent the item

isseywithcats Sat 11-Aug-18 20:51:46

and lying if says sent to wrong address as the seller gets a send payment button and this goes to the winning bidder not anyone else

WaitingForSunday17 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:56:00

Can you add additional amounts on the send payment bit? She had to add the extra for the postage... that’s why she said she would invoice me.

isseywithcats Sat 11-Aug-18 21:01:39

as a seller you get a send payments invoice and it is then that you adjust the postage you cant send a buyer another invoice after the buyer has paid the original one this is to protect the buyer because sellers could say the postage was higher even if it wasnt, what she should have done was send you the originil invoice with the postage rate on it , and as i said the invoice relates to the winning bidder so she couldnt have sent your invoice to someone else

WaitingForSunday17 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:03:45

It’s so annoying! Why bother doing it if you aren’t ever going to bother sending it??

BoldComicSans Sat 11-Aug-18 21:03:51

Open a case with eBay. This will hopefully prompt the seller to either post the item or refund you.

ragged Sat 11-Aug-18 21:06:59

What was it you bought, Waiting4Sunday (I mean roughly, like old iphone or evening dress, etc)

isseywithcats Sat 11-Aug-18 21:10:08

i will be honest this was a few years ago on my private account not the charity one i sell on now, i had a brooch for sale, a cameo, and the
american buyer gave me so much aggro before she bought it that i just had a gut feeling she would say she hadnt received it so i marked it as despatched and when she said it hadnt turned up i just apologised profusely and refunded her, as it was easier than actually sending the brooch and then losing the postage when she said she hadnt received it, i kept the brooch myself, im not saying your seller has done this but answers the question why sometimes sellers dont send things

WaitingForSunday17 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:11:31

I have over 1200 positive transactions.
I am a reliable buyer and haven’t hasslesd in any way!

WaitingForSunday17 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:12:37

So in this instance I can’t see what reason she would have...

isseywithcats Sat 11-Aug-18 21:15:26

in nearly 2000 sales and buys over the years this was the only buyer i ever did this to, i usually got the other way round people trying it on to get a refund but it does sound like your seller is messing you round as myself and bold comic have said open an not received item and seller will have to respond with tracking or refund ebay will not let them get away with anything

makingmiracles Sat 11-Aug-18 21:21:27

Some people can just be crap. Albeit not eBay, but on a specific dieting fb page I bought some diet meals off someone, paid straight away and then got told she’d send them 3 days later, after a week I’d heard nothing, she said oh husband posted the, I’ll check, 3 more days, oh sorry husband forgotten to send, what an idiot, I’ll post tonight but if I don’t catch it open I’ll post tomorrow. Anyway, this went on for a bloody month!! Eventually I opened a PayPal dispute, and lo and behold finally received the items a few days later!

Sounds like the seller is not being truthful imo, Chou can’t send an invoice to someone for something they haven’t won, it doesn’t work like that!

As a tip-always be a lot more careful with feedback and actually read some comments not just look at the percentage- since ebay changed the rules on feedback it’s more common now to find negative reviews under a positive symbol because ebay stipulate you can’t leave bad feedback for sellers until 2weeks have passed or somesuch so people just select positive then read a bad review underneath!

KitKat1985 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:26:37

Looking at the feedback - which showed as 100% for some reason - it seems they have done this before several times.

This is a problem with Ebay. You actually can't really give negative feedback as it gives you the option of giving positive feedback or opening a case. Subsequently when buyers want to warn other buyers they have to log it as positive feedback and then just clarify in the comments that their experience was negative. It's another reason I find Ebay pretty crap.

WaitingForSunday17 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:29:10

I think if I’ve heard nothing more and the item hasn’t arrived by Tuesday I will open a case.
How annoying. I want the item too! I suspect it didn’t sell for as much as she expected and she wants to relist it or sell elsewhere. I mean I guess she could have sold it elsewhere for all I know already!

NynaeveSedai Sat 11-Aug-18 21:30:52

Buyers definitely CAN give negative feedback. Sellers can't.

19lottie82 Sat 11-Aug-18 23:14:16

Hi OP - Try not to over think it, just open a case and if the seller can’t prove delivery they will have to refund, either off their own back or have it enforced by eBay.

PitchBlackNight Sun 12-Aug-18 07:56:25

someoneseatenmyapple Sun 12-Aug-18 08:04:23

Open a case. You can't send an invoice to the wrong e mail address as it's sent to the buyer from within the actual listing.

Also ask for the tracking number.

Your seller will get into trouble anyway for asking for separate postage as eBay will be missing out on some of their fee. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: