Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Shipping tracking problem - Seller's or Buyer's responsibility?

(3 Posts)
Serendipite Wed 01-Aug-18 23:24:18

I bought an item on eBay which was supposedly sent via Express Post on the 31st July.

However, today, the 2nd of August, the tracking shows as still not scanned.

I asked the help of the seller and the seller wrote, "I cannot answer as to why it hasn't been scanned yet by the post" and sent a picture of the parcel.

Since I am the recipient and not the sender, I do not know the sending information (ie. post office location, date/time sent, etc) which are needed to follow up with the post office. Therefore, I have limited information to provide when following up.

I don't want the seller to be annoyed at me. But am I wrong in assuming this is the seller's responsibility? I am also a seller, and I make sure I track the items I sold and follow up with the post office whenever there are tracking issues.

Previously, I politely requested for the item to be sent via Express Post and I will reimburse the difference between Standard Postage ($13.50) and Express Post ($16.40). Seller quoted me $8 additional for the upgrade, which I politely declined and requested her to send via Standard Postage, since I am familiar with the postage difference between Standard and Express and it should just be more or less $2-3. The seller still kindly sent the item via Express Post, and explained that "I have posted via express out of good faith as I understand you need the item urgently. Please note for future reference standard postage for 500g is $8.50, larger items only fit into 3kg satchels which cost $16.40." There is an express post satchel for 500g which costs $11.35, so I do not understand why the bag can be sent using 500g standard postage, but not by 500g express postage.

I asked the seller to send me a Paypal request for $3 so I can pay the difference (I cannot find the seller's email address in the original transaction), but I did not receive any.

I do not want the seller to be annoyed at me. I have already followed up with the post office, but I know that the next questions would be where did I drop off the item, date and time, etc which I cannot answer since I am not the seller.

Am I asking for too much?

Cavycavaprosecco Wed 01-Aug-18 23:27:57

It’s the sellers responsibility, it doesn’t matter if you annoy them - go back to them on it. You’ll have to open a case if it doesn’t arrive and also - I can send anyone a photo of a parcel. It doesn’t mean I’ve posted it!

19lottie82 Wed 01-Aug-18 23:29:50

You’re over complicating things.

If the item hasn’t arrived by the latest day of the delivery estimate then open a not received case with eBay.

The seller will have to prove delivery or refund.

I’m guessing from your currency details you are Not in the U.K. but I imagine the same rules will apply where ever you are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: