Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Fake item, seller refuses to send returns label.

(18 Posts)
Ffeyone Thu 07-Dec-17 21:10:33

Just that really, I bought an item last week for just over £100. It arrived and is clearly fake, I opened a case and messages seller who said they would refund but I have to pay return postage.

Ebay said they will get involved after 8 days and help me out.

Do you know what they will do, will they issue a returns label did me?

19lottie82 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:33:10

Yes, just escalate it after 8 days and eBay will send you a returns label.

A tip...... if you leave negative feedback don’t put a direct comment like “item is fake” as ebay will remove the comment for legal reasons if the seller asks them too.

State something a little more vague like “didn’t seem authentic, had to get ebay to refund me”

Hugepeppapigfan Thu 07-Dec-17 22:33:55

PayPal will pay return postage so look on there.

19lottie82 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:54:40

PayPal will pay return postage so look on
there.
No need, the OP has already opened an eBay case, they will provide a pre paid returns label.

Ffeyone Fri 08-Dec-17 14:25:21

Thanks, I’ll be careful with feedback I write, very annoying seller is dragging it out.

Schlimbesserung Sat 09-Dec-17 17:21:51

It's actually illegal to send counterfeit goods through the post. I'm not sure about eBay, but I know that paypal have in the past issued refunds without return where the buyer can prove the goods were counterfeit.
You might need to get written confirmation (say from an authorised dealer or from the manufacturer) that you were sold a fake.
Of course this is eBay and almost anything can happen (returns label, no returns label, automatic refund are all possible).But don't worry too much, I very much doubt you will lose out.

goose1964 Sat 09-Dec-17 17:35:39

remember to report to trading standards, a lot of the money from fake goods goes to drugs or organised crime

Ffeyone Sat 09-Dec-17 23:35:00

THanks, I will report to trading Standards. What’s really annoying is that the money will be taken from my account on Thursday because it’s two weeks since I bought item and eBay won’t or can’t do anything about it until because I have to wait 8 days. Item to 6 days to arrive so I’ll have paid for it before I can even send it back. Ebay said then have another 6 day wait before they will refund, I don’t understand why they make you wait so long when a seller is refusing to cooperate.

Ffeyone Sat 16-Dec-17 10:16:58

Just to update, seller continued to refuse to pay return cost. Ebay sent me a prepaid label after 8 days and I have now received a refund after sending the bag back. Thanks for advice.

ItsNachoCheese Sat 16-Dec-17 10:26:31

ffeyone im having similar problems albeit not as high a value, i cant seem to find how to get the return label that enables the seller to pay return postage

ButcherOfBlaviken Sat 16-Dec-17 10:28:09

Be very careful. I just got scammed in this way because the returns label the seller gave me in the end was a free post label, which didn't provide tracking info. Seller then claimed they never received the item back. tried calling ebay and they basically said tough.

Bendyandtheinkmachine Sat 16-Dec-17 10:28:32

Nacho you have to open a case with the seller and request a return. If the buyer refuses, you will need to wait 8 days until eBay will get involved. eBay will then send you a prepaid label on the sellers behalf.

ItsNachoCheese Sat 16-Dec-17 13:35:29

I will need to try get on a pc to see if i can get the label printed as im using my phone atm. Im fuming as it was my dads xmas present that i ordered as the original got damaged by a flood in my kitchen. The one i got from ebay was all ripped inside the box yet the seller said there was nothing wrong with it hmm

Hollyhobgoblin Sat 16-Dec-17 15:37:30

I had issues with the seller of a fake item recently. I rang eBay. Got through straight away. They were very helpful and immediately refunded.

Ffeyone Sat 16-Dec-17 17:29:31

Unfortunately buyers can’t otimr out a returns label until the seller sends it Nacho. If the seller won’t, then you have to wait 8 days and eBay will generate one. It’s a long time and frustrating but if you send it back any other way then it will not be texted by eBay and they won’t guarantee refund. Don’t use a sellers own label ir pay yourself.
Ebay were helpful and refunded as soon as the texting showed delivery to seller.

Ffeyone Sat 16-Dec-17 17:30:26

I think if the item is less value and a fake then eBay may refund without the item being returned. But as this was high value I had to return, was useless anyway so glad to be shot of it.

Ffeyone Sat 16-Dec-17 17:31:21

Tracked by eBay not texted

ToadOfSadness Mon 29-Jan-18 21:09:25

Also be wary of sellers who send you a photo of a label and tell you to print it out. This is not a proper label and there will not be any tracking to prove it has been sent back.

I had one of these with a damaged item which they didn't want to refund for and I made sure all the messages were in the Ebay messaging system. Finally got Ebay to send the label and when the item was returned the seller tried to make a claim. I don't know what they were claiming as I already had my refund and reported them to Ebay for everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now