Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Issues with collection only...advice needed

(16 Posts)
WheresMyCow Thu 07-Dec-17 11:30:06

I haven't posted in a while, but where else do you go when you need advice smile

I have recently sold a carseat on eBay, which was listed as collection only with cash on collection - no problems so far except that the winning bidder lives 150 miles away from me.

I have sent my address in an invoice, twice, as I know that you shouldn't provide contact details through the messaging system.

The buyer has said that "a friend" will come to collect the item and will pay when they collect. I have given a time that we are available for collection, and have asked for details of who is coming to collect as I want to ensure that I am giving the seat to the correct person and also want to get them to sign to say that the item has been received and in good condition.

So far, the time is not convenient and "the friend" wants my contact details so that they can check whether we will be in. However, the latest message that I have received from the buyer is that "the friend" is a courier. I have responded to ask whether they are collecting as a friend or a courier, and am waiting for a response.

I have no intention of waiting in all day, and can't due to other committments anyway. So, the reason for my post is to ask for a bit of advice really. What is my best course of action next?

Thanks in advance.

bellsandwhistles89 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:35:58

I wouldnt of thought a courier could pay cash for something thats not theres?

Be careful... it could very well be a scam where they get a courier to pick up item and then make a paypal 'payment' that never gets to you.

Make sure you get cash before you hand anything over if it gets to that point.

19lottie82 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:51:32

In terms of payment As long as you get cash upon collection then it’s fine.
Make sure that the buyer is very clear on this.

Can you not get the courier to call you and arrange a mutually convoniet time for collection?

ijustwannadance Thu 07-Dec-17 11:55:10

Cancel the transaction. Only ever accept cash on collection otherwise they will just say item not received and get paypal refunded leaving you with nothing. A 'friend's' signiture on a piece of paper is meaningless.

19lottie82 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:06:17

Why cancel it at this stage? The OP hasn’t stated they have paid, or tried to pay with PayPal? As I advised, just make sure the buyer understands it’s cash only (I’ve sold items where couriers have arrived with cash before), but if that’s a problem for them, THEN cancel.

19lottie82 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:07:03

Or the OP could accept a bank transfer. That’s perfectly safe and can’t be reversed.

WheresMyCow Thu 07-Dec-17 12:07:45

Thanks for your replies.

I was worried that it might be a scam. The buyer does have 100% feedback and a fairly high rating, but that doesn't mean anything.

What reason could I give for cancelling the transaction at this point? They are aware that it is cash on collection, and have said that cash payment will be made when the item is collected. I have no intention of handing the item over until I have the cash, if it gets to that point.

I am also well aware that a signature on a piece of paper is meaningless, but just trying to cover all angles.

19lottie82 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:09:59

You don’t need a signature or anything like that, as long as they pay cash (or bank transfer) you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If they try to claim the item hasn’t been received or is faulty ebay won’t get involved.

nauticant Thu 07-Dec-17 15:14:11

I'd do as 19lottie82 suggests.

Just make sure that the buyer knows that if the courier arrives at your door and they don't have all of the cash, then you won't be handing over the item.

WheresMyCow Sun 10-Dec-17 08:58:25

Quick update:
I still don't know if anyone is coming to collect today. I have sent my address a number of times in an invoice and have refused numerous requests to provide it through the messaging system as I know that is against eBay rules.
The buyer hasn't provided any details of who is coming to collect...if anyone.
So, do I just wait for the end of the time I said that we were available, and if no one shows up, look at cancelling?
Thanks in advance

Dodie66 Sun 10-Dec-17 09:19:00

If they don’t collect today I would cancel the sale if I were you. Did you have any other bidders on it? If so you can do a second chance offer and contact them through eBay and ask if they want to buy. Don’t let the item go without cash payment.

WheresMyCow Sun 10-Dec-17 13:29:31

So, the buyer hasn't turned up to collect and I have not had any contact from them.

Do I cancel the order or open an unpaid item case? Neither seem correct when reading what they are for but I want to make sure that I do things the right way.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I have never had to do this before!

Thanks.

Usernom1234567890 Sun 10-Dec-17 13:47:55

I'm pretty sure you have to leave it 2days after auction end before opening an unpaid item case OP

WheresMyCow Sun 10-Dec-17 14:25:53

Thanks...the auction ended over a week ago so that's not a problem smile

lljkk Sun 10-Dec-17 22:22:01

If the "courier" paid cash upon collection I think you'd still be in a decent position. No one can force you to refund cash payments and you don't have to release item without payment. I can't see this as a scam.

I imagine I'd give them a full 4 days (working business days) after sale to get someone to arrive & collect (& pay by cash), before I filed non-paying-bidder case.

19lottie82 Mon 11-Dec-17 15:07:48

Yes, open an unpaid item case and then get ebay to close it after 3 days and get your fees back.
Then add buyer to your blocked list if you plan to relist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now